An Unsettling Sight

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Of course, Gabriel wouldn't want to see his grandson sent to work for the new prince at such a young age.

"Dean has not had any playmates his age since we got here, so I was thinking if it was all right with you, they might be able to keep each other company for a while. He will of course be returning home with you. I don't wish to take your family from you," Paige assured him.

"Yes, My Queen, I think he would prefer that to drying dishes." Gabriel still was not quite sure if he would be losing his grandson today.

"Thank you for indulging me," Paige said.

Gabriel moved slowly over to August and spoke quietly to him. A moment later, Gabriel escorted the boy over and he sat shyly next to Dean, muttering a small "My Prince." Paige offered him one of the small cakes on the platter, and he accepted more out of politeness and duty than hunger for sweets.

"August, do you know any games you and Dean can play?" Paige asked the boy after he finished his cake.

He named some games Dean was not familiar with, so Paige encouraged him to learn them.

"Dean, you need to make sure that Gabriel knows where you are at all times, so if you're going to run off to another part of the castle you need to come tell Gabriel where he can find August if he needs him."

"Okay," Dean agreed. Just before the two boys left the kitchen, they stopped at Gabriel's work station. Zane saw the surprise in the dragon's face when Dean let him know where they were going. When the boys left, he looked at Paige curiously for a moment before he returned to his work. Paige didn't notice, since she was watching Dean with the same indulgent smile she'd had when Dean asked to go flying.

She closed her eyes for a moment, as the late afternoon sky was casting shadows on her face. Sitting in the shade of the overhang did not help, and as the light faded, her skin looked ghostly pale. Her dark hair looked black, washing out her face even more.

It was an unsettling sight. She was already ill and speaking of her death, so seeing her like this made her prediction a possible reality. Zane felt sick. The thought was so disturbing, it made him physically uncomfortable. He started to fidget in his seat.

"Paige, what's next?" he finally blurted out, only as a reason for her to open her eyes and speak, to do the things the dead could not, just to prove she was alive.

"I'm waiting on Maze," she said without opening her eyes. "But I suppose you could get Byran and bring him here so I can tell him my theory."

"Lady Queen, you seem like you are pushing yourself too hard," Ryder stated.

"Lord Prince of Blackskin, how do you plan to accomplish your goal if you keep addressing me so formally?" Paige asked, opening her eyes. Zane could see the mockery there. Did she really understand Ryder's position as a royal, and only continued to address him as higher than his status as a joke? Whether she did or not, it was obvious she had no interest in Ryder or getting to know him.

"I'll go get Byran," Ryder said curtly, wanting to get away from the queen and her constant rejection.

Zane heard the clatter from the trinkets on Maze's robe before he turned his head to see the Bluescale seer approaching with one of her heavy dragon hide bags slung over her shoulder.

"My Queen, I have been researching your symptoms, and I have it narrowed down to three poisons.

"Poison?" Zane asked. Why hadn't he thought of that?

"Yes. The queen asked me to research the possibility when I came to check on her this morning."

"What have you found?" Paige interjected, cutting Zane off as he opened his mouth.