Sixteen

"Do you really think we can win this?" I asked, looking at Liz.

"Of coarse! Sure, Tom is new to this, but he's pretty good at his job. Plus I want to see that bastard behind bars," she stated.

My eyes scanned the papers that scattered the table. "What even is all this stuff?" I asked.

The guy named Tom set the last of the papers on the table and began organizing everything. "Mostly medical records, police records, and
background information. Also anything that can help us with the case."

"Do you really think we can win?" Abby asked. She was in to process of looking over a piece of laminated paper.

Tom pushed his glasses up and set some papers in a folder. "I may not have done as many cases as the other guy's lawyer, but I haven't lost one yet. Heck, I even helped prove someone guilty of murder."

One of my eyebrows raised as I looked over at Elizabeth, who happened to have a smirk plastered on her face. "Told you he was good."

"So...how is this going to work? I've never been in a court before," Abby questioned.

"The judge will basically ask some questions to both the lawyers and the clients, try to find out whose more fit to take care of the child. Michael will answer questions like 'How long have you taken care of her?' or 'How are the living conditions?' I will be trying to convince the judge that Michael is the right parent and not David. That's where all these files come in.

"I will show the judge some of David's records, mostly the police records, and try to show why he shouldn't have Annabelle," Tom told us. Finally setting down the last of the papers and making eye contact for the first time since we were introduced. "Oh, and he might ask some people up to the stand and ask them questions. For example, Liz or Abigail could be asked up to explain why-"

"Why Michael should get Anna, we get it," Liz stated, rolling her eyes. "Will any of this but David in jail?"

Abigail sighed and rested to head in her hands, "We are trying to keep Anna, not put someone in jail."

"You don't know him like I do. I may have said we hooked up when I was sixteen, but we grew up in the same neighborhood. Trust me, he's a bad person who deserves to be locked up."

"You already told us about the drugs," I said.

"That's not all he's done," she replied, looking down at the ground.

"I do have some stuff in here that could get him in trouble, but I will only use it if necessary," Tom told her.

Elizabeth crossed her arms and mumbled under her breath, "I hope it does become necessary." She tried to say it quietly so nobody would hear her, but since I'm right next to her  heard her plain as day.

Hours past with us just sitting around and preparing for the trial. Tom showed up all of his documents. Well, most of them. There was one manila folder that he kept by him at all times, not saying a word about it.  Maybe that's the 'necessary stuff' he was talking about, I thought.

"Micheal," Abby waved her hand in front of my face.

I shook my head, "Huh? Oh, sorry."

"You okay Michael? You zoned out."

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. Did you say something?"

Abby gave me a wiry smile before replying, "I just said I would go get Anna from school, I would just need to borrow your truck."

"Oh, yeah, sorry," I reached into my pocket and handed her the keys. "Thank you, Abby."

Smiling, she took the keys and her purse before heading out the door. "I'll be back."

As the door closed, I got up and headed for the kitchen. "Anybody want something to eat or drink?"

"Have any coffee?" Liz asked.

Nodding, I poured a cup for her and myself. "Tom?"

"I'm fine, thank you." He began picking up the papers he brought and put them in his briefcase. "In fact, I should be heading out at well."

I handed Liz her mug and set mine down on the table. "Here, I'll help you." 

We both picked up the papers before I walked him to the door. "We have two days until the trial, please be ready."

"I will, and thank you again." He smiled before leaving down the stairwell. Closing the door, I walk back over to the couch and take a seat.

As we sit there for a few moments in silence, something crosses my mind. I raised an eyebrow and looked over at Liz, "Hey Liz?"

"Yeah?"

"What exactly did David do anyways."