𝐱𝐢𝐯. DEADLY ALCHEMY

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

  NYX THOUGHT IT WAS UNBELIEVABLY strange when instead of waking up in her bed that morning she was laying on the floor in the middle of the Gryffindor common room. Even more strange was the fact that she had woken up much later than normal; the sun had already risen. Nyx rubbed her face, her body was aching after having slept on the cold and uncomfortably hard floor. She lowered her gaze, taking note that her clothes were also damp; it looked like they had been wetter before but had air-dried while she was asleep.

"This can't be sanitary." Nyx yawned and got to her feet. She could have sworn she had gone to bed last night.

She made her way up the stairs in the direction of the girls' dormitories she tried to recall the night. All she could remember was writing in Tom Riddle's diary and then... nothing. Speaking of Riddle's diary, Nyx looked down—only now did she realize that she had a tight grip on the little black book. How bizarre... she thought to herself. She toss the book onto her bed without another thought and walked to the bathroom to change out of her wet pyjamas and freshen up for the day.

Snow had fallen during the night and eventually turned into a blizzard so thick that the last Herbology lesson of the term was cancelled; Professor Sprout wanted to fit socks and scarves on the Mandrakes, a ticky operation she would entrust to no one else, now that is was so important for the Mandrakes to grow quickly to revive Mrs. Norris and Colin Creevey. 

Nyx couldn't shake the feeling that she had forgotten something and it bugged as she sat in front of the fireplace, rolling around a ball of yarn for Poppy to play with. She, Hermione, Harry, and Ron had stayed in the Gryffindor common room. Harry sat with Nyx by the fireplace, while Ron and Hermione used their time to play a game of wizard's chess. 

"For heaven's sake, Harry," said Hermione, exasperated, as one of Ron's bishops wrestled her knight off his horse and dragged him off the board—wizard's chess was different from regular chess. "Go and find Justin if it's so important to you." 

Nyx's eyes widened as the realization struck her. "Justin!" she exclaimed suddenly. "That's what I forgot!" 

How could she have forgotten that she'd invited him to watch the sunrise with her? What if he'd been waiting for her for some time? She had just ditched him! Oh—Nyx rubbed her face guiltily. That wasn't good. What if he thought that she was just playing a practical joke on him after he'd revealed his feelings? 

She jumped up to her feet just as Poppy leaped on the ball of yarn. 

Nyx decided to join Harry in his search for the Hufflepuff boy. Maybe she could apologize and make up for her forgetfulness by inviting him to build a snowman with her instead. Would that make him feel better? 

⍣ ೋ

The castle was darker than it usually was in the daytime because of the thick, swirling gray snow at every window. Shivering, Harry and Nyx walked past the classrooms where lessons were taking place, catching snatches of what was happening within. Professor McGonagall was shouting at someone who, by the sound of it, had turned his friend into a badger.