Chapter 2: Running

Start from the beginning

*Next morning*

I felt something soft tickle my face. I groaned and swatted at it, trying to get whatever it was to leave me alone. But it was persistent. I cracked one eye open to see my cuddly stuffed wolf, Fang in my face. I yelped and reached for him, snatching him and nuzzling my face into him. I had had him since I was three, and whenever I was scared or needed comforting, I always cuddled into him. I heard a giggle, and turned my head to see Fawn. She had curled her long blonde hair, put lipgloss, eyeliner, mascara and foundation. Her eyeliner and mascara made her blue eyes pop out. She was wearing a pair of ripped shorts and a blue crop top, showing off her tiny belly. I was jealous of her so much. I wasn't fat, but I wasn't skinny either. I had stretch marks and I didn't have a thigh gap. I sometimes sucked my belly in but then I looked weird sometimes.

Fawn grinned at me, and I stiffened when I saw she didn't have any braces. "Fawn?" I asked hesitantly. "Yeah?" That wasn't Fawn. She HATES the word 'yeah'. I narrowed my eyes, but Not-Fawn ignored it. "Good news, I just have to sign some papers and then you're outta here!" I frowned. "Didn't the doctor say I was supposed to stay here for another few days?" I asked. Not-Fawn flapped her hands impatiently. "Screw the doctor! I want you outta here!"

"You're not Fawn!" I gasped. Not-Fawn grinned at me, and I saw fangs. I screamed as her eyes turned red, her hair fell out, replaced with brown hair, styled into a quiff, her chest flattened into a strong, broad and muscular one instead. She grew taller, and I screamed again. It was him. The vamp who had attacked me. I screamed again. "Help! Help! Please someone help me!"

People came in, but they all had identical blank expressions. Their clothes were torn and bloody, and they all had bite marks in their necks. I screamed when I saw my parents, smiling at me with too many teeth, and kept screaming when the vampire lunged forward and sank his teeth into my neck, again.

I woke up screaming. Fawn, who had been reading a book in the armchair next to the bed, jumped up, threw the book down and rushed to me. Nurses ran in, and I burst into tears, clinging to Fawn. "Shh, shh, its okay, you're alright, I'm here, shh," Fawn whispered, stroking my hair. I finally sniffed, pulling back and scrubbing at my eyes. "Guess what I brought!" Fawn said, grinning, and I sighed in relief when I saw her braces. "What?" I asked. She pulled Fang out from behind her. My face lit up. "Fang!" I yelled, grabbing him and cuddling him. I saw two nurses and Dr Smith come in.

"Well, Natalie, you're almost ready to go, I just need Fawn to sign these papers." Dr Smith said. I nodded, and he winked at me when no one was looking. I raised my eyebrows and he failed in giving me a sexy smile. I made a disgusted face and was glad when the nurses pulled the curtain around us to give me a wash. When they were done, Fawn handed them my favourite outfit, my ripped shorts and layered purple crop top. Then, they kneeled and slipped my purple sandals on, they had a strap around the ankle. Fawn then came forward, holding her hairdryer and purple straighteners. When she was done, my hair -which smelled like coconuts from the shampoo- was pin straight and fell past my ribcage, like it always did. When she was done with my hair, she started doing my makeup. She put on eyeliner, mascara, and lipgloss. The eyeliner and mascara made my dark brown eyes stand out. Fawn messed about with my long dark brown hair a little more and then I was ready. I walked out from behind the curtain and Dr Smith leered at me, taking his time in checking me out. I frowned and shifted uncomfortably, and Fawn stepped out in front of me. "Stop making eyes at my best friend you creep!" she snapped. Dr Smith narrowed his eyes and opened his mouth to say something, but one nurse said, "Enough!" and pushed Dr Smith out of the room. He took one last longing look at me before storming off. I looked at Fawn and nudged her gently. "Thanks," I said with a small smile. She smiled back. "What are friends for?"

When we got outside, I stopped dead and stared at Fawn's Neon. "Oh my god!" I blurted. Fawn shrieked. It was trashed. Someone had beaten the windows, bashed the doors in, and two of the tyres had been slashed. "Who would do that?" Fawn shrieked. I stared at the Neon. "Someone REALLY doesn't want us to leave."

"Keep... Pushing!" I panted. We had to push the Neon all the way to the car dealer, with all out bags in it. I saw some men outside, working on cars. "Hey!" I yelled, waving my arms. They looked up. "Help!" I yelled. They put their equipment down and ran to us. "Keep pushing!" one man called. When they reached us, two of them came around to the rear of the car to help us push the car, while the other two opened the doors and pushed them. When we finally got the Neon up to the front of the dealer, me and Fawn collapsed, gasping for breath. One man reached inside a cooler and pulled out two water bottles, handing them to us. We chugged them down. "So what can we do for you?" A man around thirty asked. "I'm Jacob by the way, but everyone calls me Jay." "We need a car, something big," I said. Jay nodded. "Follow me," he said, and led us around to the back of the dealership, where the cars were.

"That one!" I yelled, pointing, scaring Fawn. She jumped and yelped. "Jeesh, not so loud!" she complained, running her ears. I laughed. "Sorry." "Which one?" Jay asked. I ran to the black Range Rover. "This one!" I said excitedly. "That one is £8000." Jay said. I handed the money over, and he gave me the keys. "I just need you to sign some applications and then I'll get someone to help load the bags into the car." he said. I nodded and followed him into his office. He pushed some forms towards me and I quickly filled them in. When I was done, I shoved them back and Jay called a guy over. He loaded the bags into the car and me and Fawn jumped in. "Thanks!" I yelled, and Jay raised his hand, nodding. Then, I drove out of there. That's it then. We're on the run. Hopefully that vampire will never find us.