Chapter 26

You had just gotten out to the living room when you saw Thomas slip out of the house and quickly hop on the golf cart and drive off. You let out a heavy sigh a as you looked around the house, realising that there was nothing to do to pass the time.
An idea popped into your head as you ran upstairs and came back down, plopping down on the comfy couch. You opened the old, plain book to an empty page and began to sketch. At first, you were just drawing random little lines; but before you knew it, you had drawn the small forest filled with glowing fairy lights from the previous night. You were quite enjoying the day until you heard your phone buzz, notifying that you and received a message.
As you set the book and pencil aside, you reached out and picked your phone up. On the front screen it showed that an unknown number had texted you. Curious, you unlocked your phone to check the message.
It read:
Hey beautiful😘 Happy late valentines day😍 Maybe we could catch up soon seeing as I'm in town?
Figuring it was the wrong number, you texted back:
Who is this? I think you have the wrong number.
Not even two seconds later a new message arrived.
Don't you remember me (y/n)? It's Jackson Taylor, remember we dated?😉😏
You immediately regretted answering the text, the vivid memories of the time you had been with Jackson resurfacing. Tears began to well up along your eyelids as you responded.
Don't you understand that when a girl blocks you and tells you to stay the hell away from her that she doesn't want anything to do with you? Why do you think I moved to America? I wanted to get as far away from you as possible and now you come back and think that you can just text me, call me beautiful and think everything is fine and good? Then your even stupider than I thought. Just leave me alone and don't even think about coming to my house!
You quickly block his number and through the phone across the couch in a spur of anger and sadness. Tears spilled over you cheeks as you recalled all that had happened.
"(Y/n)? What's wrong love?" Thomas came rushing over, concern plain on his face. You tried to brush the tears away and hide them, but there was no use; they just kept flowing down your cheeks. You felt Thomas rub his hand up and down your back as he tried to talk to you, however you couldn't seem to get the words out. Instead, you reached out and handed him the phone. You lay there as Thomas unlocked your phone and looked at the messages.
"Who is this?" Thomas said, anger rising in his voice.
"M-my ex b-boyfriend" you said through weeps.
"You left the country because of him? The hell did he do to you love?"
"Not e-exactly. When we w-were in college, we d-dated,and when I told him that I had been o-offered a scholarship in th-the states, he became aggressive towards me and would tell me that I wasn't allowed to leave him. He would suddenly pin me against a wall and threaten me to stay or else he would hurt me. One day, it got really bad; we were talking to some of my friends and they asked me about the scholarship, and he all of a sudden grabbed me by the wrist and dragged me away and out of sight. He was about to hit me, but one of my friends quickly shoved him away. She had taken me back to her apartment and insisted that she come to America with me and that we leave immediately, and we did. If it weren't for Ally, I'd probably still be there." You explain, the tears still streaming down your face. Thomas didn't say a thing; he only pulled you into a tight hug and stroked you back. You both lay there for an hour while Thomas occasionally whispered in you ear "It's alright."  After a while you began to drift off into a dreamless sleep in Thomas's arms, feeling like everything was going to be okay.
If only that were true...