𝐢𝐢. LITTLE ORPHAN ANNIE

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

  IT HAD ALREADY BEEN TWO weeks since the baguette incident. At the time the triplets and their father, Owen, accompanied by April and Nyx had gone over to Mr. Kowalski's bakery where the kids apologized for their actions. It took a lot of convincing, as well as being banned from the bakery for the next three months for Mr. Kowalski to even begin considering forgiveness. Nyx felt really guilty for what she had done, and during her apology, she had gotten so emotional she started crying; Mr. Kowalski didn't like that very much, crying made him nervous. 

At least all of that was behind her. Now, Nyx could finally focus on happier things, like her upcoming birthday! Nyx Thomas Riddle was born on June 30th, 1980—finally, she was turning twelve years old. It felt like she'd been eleven for an eternity. Still, twelve wasn't a special age either, it's just that Nyx happened to prefer even numbers over odd ones. 

She has always been aware of her date of birth thanks to the incomplete birth certificate that was with her when she was first left at Little Akers. The certificate was incomplete because it apparently didn't have either of her parents' names written on it; Nyx had never seen it before April kept all the files and documents locked away in her office and she was the only one with the key. 

There were times when Nyx considered breaking into her office to take a peek, just so she could be sure that there weren't new clues as to who her parents might have been. She never went through with it though. Maybe Nyx always backed out at the last minute because it would be too real? Currently, she had this picture-perfect image of her family in her head, seeing their names—even if it was the tiniest bit of information—could ruin that image for her. Nyx, subconsciously, might not have been ready for that; she was protecting herself from potential heartbreak. 

Anyway, enough of that. Nyx shook away the thoughts, as she climbed over the orphanage fence and landed in the front courtyard. She dusted herself off and whistled to herself while tossing up a geode rock she'd found in some of the caves little ways outside of town; for her morning walk, she'd gone pretty far this time. 

A geode was a special kind of rock that contained hollow cavities lined with crystals. Nyx was very excited when she found it because she'd almost left it behind! It had to be a sign—the perfect start to a perfect birthday. 

She rushed to wash her hands of the dirt and grime that had accumulated on them, she couldn't have any evidence that she'd been outside. When she finished she placed the geode rock on her pillow and exited her room. She was ready to eat and seeing as it was her birthday she was allowed to have a special birthday breakfast that was made just for her. 

"I wonder if it's going to be crêpes like last year." Nyx licked her lips in anticipation. April always tried her best to make everyone's birthday truly special. But seeing as the orphanage didn't have large funds, April's gifts were always something she could make herself. Usually, it was the food she cooked.