CHAPTER 5

Our past is what shapes us to become who we are.

The tragedies, the experiences, the joy, the learning- each one of it plays a vital role in forming our innate ideas, our beliefs and our mindset.

For him, his past had been this perennial brook of agony and misery.

He had been pushed and tried so many times, that even he didn't realisz when and how he had turned out to be that insipid, ruthless business tycoon, who technically had everything in his life, but only he knew how hollow he had always felt from within.

Until of course he met her.

His Khushi.

But in all the turmoil, all the conundrums, all the miseries, all the tough times of the past, if there was one thing that had never left his side, it was his own wit.

His intellect that had guided him to enroll in Harvard, be exceptionally good in everything he did, take the fashion world by storm, become something so big that nobody could have even imagined it.

It had also made him eligible to claim what was taken away from him, one of which was his own ancestral home: Sheesh Mahal, from where he and his sister were thrown out when they were young.

.

And now as he sat silently in his office cabin, all he could think about in retrospect was how his wit was always his weapon, yet in the real hours of need he never used it.

When his sister had fallen in love with that snake of a man, he didn't really care to keep a tab of his background details and be sanguine that he didn't have an alter ego. What he rather considered was the fact that his sister was invariably happy and that was about it.

When Shyam had infiltrated his mind with the nasty statements that indicated an illegitimate relationship between him and Khushi, he had not even given it a second thought and coaxed Khushi into something she didn't want to be a part of.

He had ruined her life, her faith, her self-respect, and her everything.

Yet, he never cared to use his wit even once, the same wit that would have easily brought out the truth of Shyam and innocence of Khushi, had he run a background check on Shyam's alter life.

Even after his kidnapping, he could have easily involved the police officials to probe into the matter and that would have most certainly brought out the truth that Shyam was guilty.

And then Anjali Di too would have seen the truth much before, and perhaps today she would have had her baby with her, alive, rather than losing the child to the filthy games of that bas***d Shyam.

As he pondered and pondered, he could only come to one conclusion.

He was a man always arrogant of his stature, his power, his dominance, the authoritative tone always being his identifier; yet how foolish did he look now?

He only sighed at the loopholes of his own understanding towards everything and berated himself mentally.

Because his money, his power, his sources: All of it, only remained as a trophy that he often bragged about, but he never made the right use of it, when doing so would have actually made his life much more peaceful.

But then what's life if we don't learn from our mistakes?

His mind once again traveled back to last night, when he had found the crumpled piece of paper that was the DNA report.

He hadn't been able to sleep the whole night, the endless thoughts never letting him rest even for one minute.

He had looked at Khushi and for the first time wished to disturb her sleep, because it was so hard for him to deal with this, but he couldn't.