EPILOGUE: The New Challenge

Sheffield, Yorkshire

7 PM, Friday.

He tiptoed into the room, knowing very well he was in for some serious reprimanding from the person sitting near the window.

As if his lack of time for her since the last fortnight wasn't enough already, he had called for another round of castigation for himself by arriving late even today.

The thought and sight of her sitting with a crestfallen face was troublesome to him. If there was anything in the world he couldn't afford to see, it was tears in her eyes.

With an apologetic look adorning his face, he took slow strides towards the end of the room, where she was sitting by the window.

He could already feel the tension in the atmosphere and her silent treatment was validating his inhibitions that he was in for a session of hearing her valid accusations and then taking his own sweet time of placating her and getting her back to normal.

.

Who could believe that the 30 year old business tycoon would become this petrified entity when he was unintentionally caught up in an ordeal like this?

And so with a bated breath, he sat beside her, and in a tone composed with calm and maturity, he greeted her.

"Hey!"

He waited patiently to hear her greet him back, but as expected, there came no reply.

"Naraz ho mujhse?" (Angry with me?)

He asked in a sincerely apologetic and innocent tone, and at that, she lifted her gaze, looking at him with her big hazel eyes.

"You promised that you would come early today!"

She said with a little tinge of disappointment in her eyes, making Arnav cup her cheeks immediately.

"I'm sorry baby! I really am sorry! The fashion week is coming up next month and so I'm all caught up in things! But I really, really apologize to you. I promise I would make it up to you this weekend, that is tomorrow!"

He said genuinely, his words conveying how truly sorry he was for ruining the Friday plan with this person who meant so much to him.

"Pakka, promise?"

She asked with a puppy face.

"Pakka promise!"

He smiled, assuring her.

.

"Pinky promise?"

She asked back.

And Arnav couldn't control the chuckle as he saw her ask that.

She was just so similar to her. All her antics, her facial expressions, everything about her just reflected her.

And so with an effort to control his giggles, he nodded in compliance,

"Pinky promise!"

As soon as he said that, she wrapped her arms around him, snuggling closer in his embrace as Arnav too lovingly caressed her back up and down, feeling this huge weight lifted off his chest.

The huge weight that was the apprehension that he would have irked his 5 year old daughter and she would not get convinced easily this time.

But to his utter surprise, despite being a stubborn soul like her mother, his daughter was not really a tough nut to crack, especially if you were honest and genuine with her.