Chapter Three

Day Four Prompt: Presence felt but not seen

When she opened her eyes, it was later than she thought it was. Light was already shining behind the blinds and her room was warmer despite her air condition turned on. She turned to her side to check the time. The clock on her bedside table read nine thirty-five in the morning. She groaned.

She was still sleepy but she remembered promising her mother to spend the weekend with her family. If she doesn't want to spend hours stuck in the middle of weekend traffic, she better get her day started. After fixing her bed, she left her room to get her coffee pot boiling. What she saw in her living room, stopped her short.

All the plants in her apartment were in bloom. She watered them yesterday and knew for a fact that none of her flowering plants even have buds. Her hibiscus made her living room brighter and her dining and kitchen looked better with beautiful orchid blossoms. Even her Clivia was in bloom even though its flowering season had past.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Even their scent were stronger than the last time they bloomed. With her eyes closed, she felt the same presence that visited her before waking.

She still cannot determine whether it was good or bad. It was giving off a feeling of being guarded. Not watched or stared at like what happened earlier. It's as if she has an unseen bodyguard.

"But if you could make my flowers bloom these beautifully, you're in my good books," she said out loud.

As she prepared for her weekend out of the city, the presence stayed mostly in the living room. Something she was thankful for. It would be uncomfortable having that presence follow her around even in her room or bathroom.

By eleven, she was locking up her door. She was planning her route to avoid traffic and belatedly thought of packing a sandwich for the road. She figured that she could drive through a fast food restaurant instead and eat on the road. As the elevator descend to the parking lot, she randomly thought about the presence in her unit and wondered if it would still be there when she returned.

While she was merging with the traffic outside her building, the presence made itself known again. Helia cannot pin point where it was but it was in her car. She should be unnerved but for some reason, the presence comforted her. Often alone, she welcomed her companion on her trip.

"I hope you don't mind some music," she said while plugging her phone to the car's audio system. "Although I feel you in here... somewhere... I am still not comfortable talking to air. But no! Don't start talking back even if you could because that would freak me out. I don't want to get into an accident."

As the music filled her car, she giggled at her silliness. To anyone outside looking in, it would look like she was talking to herself. It doesn't matter whether there was a real presence with her or not.

Traffic was bearable and she was home in less than three hours. She suddenly felt excited going home when she entered their small town. It had only been a few months but that's already a long time for her.

Their home was in the heart of the town. It was a sprawling two-storey victorian-style home with four bedrooms and three and a half baths. The house had been with the Laxamanas for many generations and had been their family's pride.

They were a simple family. Her father works in the government while her mother stayed at home. The upkeep of the old house was expensive so they open their home to tourists. They converted the first floor into some sort of a museum while the second floor was remained their living space. That's why it didn't surprise her seeing a few cars parked in front of their home.

She drove through the back and climbed to the second floor where she found her mother busy in the kitchen. Her father must be entertaining the guests downstairs.

"Hello, Mom!"

"Helia! I thought you would be here earlier."

She gave her mother a peck on the cheek before occupying one of the stools.

"I woke up later than planned."

"Did you go out last night?"

"Nope. I received a package."

She saw her mother's back stiffened.

"It was unmarked but when I opened it, the letter said it was from a certain Ursula Beatris de Azpetia."

Her mother turned off the stove and walked up to her. She sat on the stool beside her before gathering her hands in hers.

"I am going to tell you a story about my best friend who passed away."

_______________

Posted later than planned but it was done before midnight. I did a quick run through to see if there are any embarrassing mistakes in it.

How are you liking the story so far?