Kurapica flinched. He felt pretty impressed with himself when, rather than lash out, he focused on the plan that Kuroro had obviously concocted. "Am I going to go as a married woman, then?"

"You look a tad young to be married," Kuroro replied. "Engaged would be more believable. I'll go as your brother, since after a betrothal the Wholfir, male or female, must be with a family member at all times."

"I know," the blond replied. He looked at the older man again, detailing his features; the large, dark eyes, the black hair, the tall nose. "I don't understand how people would believe that we could be siblings," he commented. "We look nothing alike."

"Not all siblings look similar," Kuroro replied.

"Usually, there's a bit of resemblance, no?"

Kuroro shrugged. "So long as people don't question it, I don't think it's a bad plan."

"And if someone does question it?" Kurapica wanted to know.

"I'll find something to explain it," Kuroro replied with another shrug. "I'm a pretty good liar."

Silence descended onto the car. Kurapica observed the older man's face for a moment longer. Finally, he too shrugged and then turned away. After another few minuted, he turned towards the back and picked up his book again. The rest of the day went by quietly.

They arrived at the hotel late that night. It was dark out, but not so late that the front desk was unoccupied. They shared a bed, something that was getting uncomfortably normal. Once upon a time, Kurapica would have shuddered in disgusted anger at the thought. Now, he shuddered still, but for a completely different reason. He tensed and heard Kuroro chuckle at his back. Neither said anything, however. It took some time before he could fall asleep.

The morning sun woke him up. The curtains were open a crack, and the light was falling straight across his eyes. He turned onto his back and stretched, the held still as Kuroro put an arm across his waist.

"Good morning," the older man said, his mouth dangerously close to his ear.

"Morning," Kurapica said in return, resisting the urge to rub his ear against his shoulder. It tickled.

"How do you feel about wearing the black wig, today?"

"Are you hoping that we might look more like siblings?" the blond asked, amused.

"Mm," Kuroro hummed, "maybe."

"Which one should I go for?"

"The more elaborate one will be for the party," Kuroro answered. "Shal is supposed to send me the invitation we need. I expect it'll be waiting for us at the suite I've secured for us in Merro."

"So I'm going to wear the simple black wig when we drive into town," Kurapica ackowledged. "All right, I should –" He made to get up, but Kuroro's arm stopped him, pulling him back against the strong chest behind him. "What are you doing?"

"Holding you," Kuroro said, laughter in his voice.

"Obviously," the blond replied. "Are we going to do this again?"

"Ask obvious questions and you'll get obvious answers," Kuroro replied.

Kurapica sighed. The older man always tried his patience. It was as if he enjoyed having any kind of effect on the blond, be it passion or anger. "All right," he sighed, deciding to play along. "Why are you preventing me from getting up?"

"There's no hurry," Kuroro explained, "and I happen to like having you in my arms."

Kurapica didn't know what to answer to that, so he stayed silent, let Kuroro hold him. He expected the movement, when the older man's hand started sliding up his chest, then down to the waistband of his cotton pants, where he paused. The blond held his breath in anticipation. His heartbeat pounded in his ears, but he could still hear Kuroro's show breaths, the warm air ghosting over the back of his neck. After a moment, the older man's hand travelled up his torso once more.