Chapter 65

Kurapica opened his eyes and blinked a few times, trying to wake up properly. Immediately, his gaze sought out what had awoken him. Sitting on his bed, staring at him and completely immobile to a point that was sort of creepy, was the man responsible for all of his recent doubts and heartache. The blond groaned and turned to his other side so he wouldn't have to look at him. It always made his chest ache oddly when he looked at him, lately, like something was squeezing his ribs in. It wasn't a comfortable feeling, physically or emotionally.

"Good morning," the older man greeted.

Kurapica didn't bother returning the sentiment. "What time is it?" he mumbled instead.

He felt the mattress shift as the Spider Head no doubt pulled his cellphone out of his pocket. "Three-thirty pm, or just about."

Kurapica let out another frustrated groan. "I thought I was allowed to sleep as long as I needed?" he reminded the older man.

Kuroro chuckled. "Perhaps, but I've been awake for hours and I was rather bored."

"So read a book," the blond sent back.

"I've done that," Kuroro told him. Kurapica could hear the amusement in his voice. The mattress dipped a little, so Kurapica expected the touch when it came. The older man's hand was warm as it slowly slid down his back, starting at the back of his neck and going low, only stopping just above his buttocks. A pause, and it slowly went all the way up again. Kurapica held his breath. "Come on," the Spider Head said, and his hand withdrew. "We have a lot to do tonight. It would be advantageous to start early."

"A lot to do?" Kurapica echoed. "You mentioned shopping." He twisted his upper torso to look back at the older man.

Kuroro nodded. "Yes," he acquiesced. "We have to get you a uniform, then forge some school records. You're going to be a high school student applying to MIU. One of the professors at that university is rumoured to own a pair of Scarlet Eyes."

"All right," Kurapica said with a sigh and sat up. "I'm up, I'm up."

Kuroro's lips twitched into something that wasn't quite a smile. Suddenly, he closed the distance between them and kissed him. It only lasted a split-second and he was gone, leaving Kurapica stunned, his heart hammering in his chest. Then the Spider Head got to his feet. "He's also rumoured to be quite the pervert."

"Oh," the blond spoke before he realized what he was doing, "you two should get along pretty well, then."

A soft exhale that wasn't quite a snort was all that showed of Kuroro's amusement. "He has a propensity for bringing young female students back to his house. He seems to be especially fond of high school uniforms."

"I'm going as a female student?" Kurapica suddenly realized. "I thought – anyway."

"Problem?" Kuroro wanted to know.

"How about you dress up like a high school girl and see if there's a problem," the blond hissed.

Kuroro chuckled. "I might not look my age," he pointed out, "but I look much too old to pass for a high school student."

Kurapica turned away from him with a disgusted grunt. "How do I know you haven't planned all of this because you want to see me dressed in a short skirt?"

"You don't," Kuroro answered airily. "Come on," he repeated, "I made coffee. We can eat breakfast when we're at the shopping strip."

The older man pushed himself to his feet and walked out of the room, obviously expecting Kurapica to follow. The blond made a face at his back and refused to budge from his spot in the very centre of the bed until Kuroro was out of view. He hid a yawn behind his hand, then raked his finger through his hair before scratching at the back of his head, blinking blearily. Time to get up. He shuffled to the edge of the mattress and placed his feet on the carpeted floor.