"So, you're saying that I need to prove myself first."

"Would you expect anything less, were our roles reversed?" Kuroro asked patiently.

"No," Kurapica had to admit. He sighed and pulled the wig off, then looked thoughtful for a moment. He walked to the couch and sat down. Kuroro followed. He sat beside him, waiting to hear the result of his inner debate. Finally, Kurapica tossed the brown wig onto the coffee table. He raked his fingers through his hair and sighed. "What do I have to do for you to remove the bind?" he asked the Spider Head.

"As you've said," Kuroro told him, "you need to prove your loyalty to me and to the Gen'ei Ryodan."

Kurapica's frown intensified. "How do I do that?" he asked.

The Spider Head resisted the urge to grin victoriously. Instead, he kept his expression serious. He turned to Kurapica and waited until the blond met his gaze to continue. "I'll free your nen," he said slowly, "when you have a twelve legged spider tattooed on your skin."

Kurapica paled. His eyes widened and an expression of horror came over his face. He was immobile for a moment, then suddenly got up. "I, I'm going to change," he stammered before walking to the bedroom. The door closed behind him. Kuroro stared after him, wondering if he'd gone too far. Perhaps he shouldn't have mentioned the tattoo. Just as the thought entered his mind, he brushed it aside. No, it wasn't too early. The timing was just right. No matter when Kuroro would have decided to mention the tattoo, the proud Kuruta would have reacted the same.

He wondered at first whether Kurapica would stay holed up in the bedroom. After a moment, he heard the shower turn on. He figured that Kurapica wanted to get rid of all of the makeup and girly perfume that he was wearing. He picked his phone and made a call, checking up on his Spiders through Machi. As he spoke, he got to his feet and started pacing slowly in the cramped room. The news were excellent, and he found himself smiling victoriously as he pressed the button that would disconnect the call. He heard the bedroom door open, and he turned towards it.

Kurapica paused in the doorway. "You look very pleased with yourself," he commented.

"Well, I am," the Spider Head answered. "I've just received excellent news."

"Care to share?" the blond wanted to know. He walked over to the couch and slumped, rather uncharacteristically, onto the thin cushion.

"Not just yet," Kuroro told him. "I'll need the confirmation first."

Kurapica shrugged. "As you wish."

Kuroro glanced at him. An amused smile pulled at his lips. "You've still got black around your eyes," he commented.

"I know." The blond made a face. "I couldn't get it to come off."

"At least you got the most of it," Kuroro pointed out. "It's only the waterlines." He walked back to the couch and sat next to him. "It's not that bad," he added, still looking at him. "It really brings out your eyes."

Kurapica looked shocked, or perhaps scandalized. "Are you being serious right now?"

"Well," the older man said with a smile, "not entirely. It's true that the blue does pop out more, but I admit I like you better without makeup."

Kurapica blinked, shifted uncomfortably. He opened his mouth as if he were about to say something, but then he closed it without speaking. He leaned back, the back of his head atop the back of the couch, and sighed. Kuroro observed him quietly, wondering what was going on in that blond head, wondering where his thoughts were going.

He was fascinated, he realized. There was something about that boy, about his sharp mind, his beauty, his strength that was mesmerizing.

Kurapica glanced at him. "You're staring again," he commented.