Finale: Comes Marching Home

Risho's breaths caught in her throat and it felt like they'd already frozen over. "I...I'm glad you're okay," she tried, hating the stutter that hijacked her voice as she spoke, "Chanda was worried sick about you."

The dagger resting at Azar's side didn't waiver. She was glad, she supposed, that it wasn't pointing right at her- but she wished that he'd put it away. "Don't lie to me, Risho."

"I'm not-"

His eyes, old and cold as the ice beneath their feet, flickered from her to the village that had been so close- so reachable just seconds before. "No one has deserted the army and lived."

There was no use denying it now. Risho's shoulders fell and she looked up at Azar with pleading eyes. "And you're going to try and make me another statistic?"

Azar bowed his head. "I can't let you go..." Of course he couldn't. He was Fire Nation through-and-through, and he hated the people Risho loved. He was afraid of her- just like Chanda.

She thought about the two brothers, how the one who had always wanted to be a teacher had shown her mercy, in the end. What did that mean for Azar, who had been an obedient soldier since he was born? Risho's decent into stance didn't go nearly as smoothly as it was supposed to. He legs shook off the black snow that landed on them. "Please," she half-begged, "don't make me do this."

"No one's making you do this, Risho. You've chosen this path for yourself."

Risho felt soft tears slide down her face. If she did what she was supposed to this time, there would be no lightning-bending him back. She'd lose the only real friend she'd ever had- and it would be by her own hand. "And no one's making you stop me, either...are they? You can turn around and leave, Azar, you don't have to do this. Neither of us have to-"

He didn't even blink. "And what do you suggest I tell them?"

"You never saw me."

"And betray my family? I won't do that, Risho." His gaze shifted to her stance, and he put together what she was threatening to do to him. His eyes started to water too. "And if you want to murder me with a heart as cold as this place, so be it." He moved the dagger behind him, and Risho understood what he was trying to say. He wouldn't do it.

"Come with me," she breathed. The meaning of the words didn't even register until they were already out of her mouth and hit Azar like an electric shock.

He startled. "What?"

"Come with me," she repeated. "Don't go back to the Fire Nation, Azar. Come with me and we'll leave this war behind forever. We don't have to be enemies. Come with me." She eased out of her bending-stance, and held out a hand.

"My family-"

Risho threw tact to the wind. "Doesn't care a fig about you!"

Aaaaannnnddddd...she had him on the defensive. But these things needed to be said. Even if he was going to turn around and leave her forever, this was something that needed to be pointed out. "Yes. They do. They love me, and they would miss me if I was gone-"

She didn't doubt it. Just not as much as they should, she thought. "YOU'RE NOT AN TROPHY, AZAR! THEY TREAT YOU LIKE AN OBJECT THAT CAN BE CAST ASIDE AS SOON AS SOMETHING BETTER COMES ALONG!" She didn't know why she was screaming, but it felt like the right thing to do. Risho stood there, trying to catch her breath as she watched Azar's face twist into something that resembled hers... mid-yell.

"LIKE I'VE NEVER BEEN THAT BEFORE!"

She stopped, her heavy breaths a prologue to her words. "Wh...what?