Chapter Forty-Three: Flower Pots

As she'd expected, Risho woke up somewhere other than her bed the next week. What she hadn't expected,however, was that she'd wake up somewhere new. This time, the White Lotus had spared her the disappointment of another cave. Also, to her delight, they'd bypassed the Shirshu paralysis poisoning. Was this pity, or genuine trust? Risho didn't mind much either way.

The Firebender pushed herself up off the floor, unable to even speak as she took in her surroundings. She'd been set down on the central disk of an enormous lotus mosaic in the centre of the room. She was surrounded by petals...and people. People- all of them ancient- in blue and silver uniforms. They weren't paying any attention to her whatsoever. Risho had a moment of panic. She sent a blast of orange fire into the air, letting it shatter and rain down in sparks before extinguishing it for good. That got their attention.

Dozens upon dozens of eyes fell on her at once.

"Well, it's about time!" she cried as someone offered her an arm. Risho pulled herself up and brushed off her tunic. She looked around for familiar faces, but found nothing of the sort. She frowned, turning her attention back to the woman who had helped her.

There was no kindness in the woman's cold, grey eyes as she said, "You must follow me."

The woman led her through halls of polished marble, past every element by-product possible. Candle chandeliers hung from the ceiling, dripping with polished stones in such beautiful shapes that they could only have been earthbent. Currents of crystal-clear water bent around every corner, glittering orange in the firelight. When Risho and her escort stepped into a hallway with a glass floor, Risho noticed that they'd heated the place with lava. She wondered if that was a product of earth or firebending? Perhaps both. She didn't think it was the right time to ask. She allowed the woman to usher her through a grand set of double doors, then shut them behind her.

Four figures sat on four thrones. The uniforms they wore were the same as everyone else's, but their thrones were one of a kind.

One of stalagmites, green and glowing in the dim light.

One of crystals of ice and snow, bubbles and ripples swirling around for decoration. Risho wondered how he kept from being too cold.

The firebender, of course, did not possess Risho's unique ability of inflammability so he did not sit on a throne of pure fire. His was a chair of gold, tall candle-posts swirling around the figure upon it. The fire flickered with his every breath. Powerful, thought Risho. A master beyond Amim. She'd have to watch her step. She'd have to keep her mouth laced tight.

The last chair was...well, just a chair. Wooden, sturdy. Risho entertained herself for a moment or two by trying to unravel the knot of confusion that had formed in her mind. What type of bender could bend wood? Wasn't that...impossible? She wondered a while longer, nearly deciding that the person on the throne was special like her, before realizing that she was standing in front of a non-bender. She had to physically keep herself from slapping her forehead in annoyance.

Risho gave them a slight bow. "Masters,"

All four of them declined their heads. Not a full bow, but respectful nonetheless. "Miss Risho."

The young firebender kept her chin high. She would respect them as they wished, but she refused to cower. They needed her as much as she needed them. They would respect her just as well. "I am."

The lights from the master firebender's throne flared for a moment, before being extinguished completely. The room was enveloped in darkness. Risho let out a gasp, completely forgetting the promise she'd made just a moment ago. Why did she feel like she was being interrogated? The Firelord wasn't here. And neither, she thought with a sad smile, is Azar. She hoped he'd return to his senses when she was away...if he had any to begin with. She truly hoped that he did.

"We are sad to inform you that the recent attack on you and the non-bender, Azar, has accelerated Court Physician Ishan's research on your bending-abilities." She frowned in the dark. Doctor Ishan had said as much to her mother when he'd tried to whisk her away for more testing. Nearly complete, he'd said. Risho hadn't even considered what that would mean for her chances.

Another voice, as mysterious as the ambiance, spoke up next; "Thus, the chance of our contract being successful has been drastically decreased." No. NO. NO. NO. NO! Risho almost screamed it aloud, but was able to contain herself before the words escaped her lips. They weren't going to tell her that this was over. These people cared about the fate of the world, didn't they? That was what they were all about.

"So, what are you saying?" she near-whispered. With darkness as her cloak, Risho curled her fingers inwards, light following the sparks and illuminating her face in the dimmest sense. Risho was good at faking expressions- at extenuating ones that already existed. If Risho wanted to, she could make herself look startlingly pathetic. Pitiful. It could only help her in a room full of old people. "Are you...are you ending this?"

The earthbender blinked her green eyes. "No, Risho. We are not ending our agreement." Risho's sigh of relief was not forced.

"We are simply warning you." She sucked the relief back in. This didn't sound good. The White Lotus seldom warned her about anything- no matter how much pain it would put her through. If they thought she needed a heads-up... She grimaced, lowering her light so that the old folks couldn't see. "That as the progress of the Fire Nation quickens...ours must as well. Your path will be...bended-clear for you. Prepare yourself, my girl."

The waterbender's words sent a rush of excitement through Risho. She wasn't quite sure if it was a good or bad thing. Bended clear? Things were going to speed up? The White Lotus would fulfill their end of the bargain before Ishan completed his research? That meant... Spirits. She didn't have much time. Not much at all.

Walking a path is easier than running it...

One of Gou's notes had read that once. She was only understanding it now. She didn't exactly like the context. Things were going to get difficult. "I...I understand." Too well. But at least she hadn't been left in ignorance... if there was one thing she didn't miss, that would be it.

She closed her eyes as she heard someone jump down from the dais that held the thrones. She knew what was coming next. How ironic, she thought as a blindfold was tied around her head.  

_________________

I keep forgetting to do these! Ugh! I'm sorry.

So, we're coming up on the exciting parts! I'm SO READY! 

Wait...am I?