The "I pick favorite's" Teacher

Chapter 4: The "I pick favorite's" Teacher.

I was going to write about the teacher that is too attractive to be teaching high school students, but I changed my mind. I want to write about the teacher who picks favorite's, and dislikes anybody who isn't apart of the favorite club. You know the one. When you're the teacher's favorite, they give you extra help, they're nice to you and you genuinely enjoy their class. However if you are apart of the dislike club, the teacher is rude, barely helps or teaches you, and you genuinely hate their class. 

I've been on both sides of this. I have been apart of both the dislike and the favorite club. And let me tell you, the favorite club was twenty times more enjoyable than the dislike club. Well, sometimes I would get a kick out of annoying the teacher that didn't like me. But that's just me. 

I want to tell you about a maths teacher I had during my third year at high school. In this class, with this teacher, I was leader of the dislike club. He didn't like me, and I really didn't like him. And maths. Nobody likes maths. Except, his favorites. The classroom had an unspoken seating plan. You never mess with the unspoken seating plan. Never. Not unless you want to be silently (sometimes not silently) attacked by your peers. So, in this class, the favorites would sit in front of the teacher's desk. We'll call the teacher Mr. L. So, in front of Mr. L and the rows behind those desk, were his favorites. I don't think I ever heard the favorite's talking. All year, not once. But that might of been because my friends and I were doing enough talking for the entire class. So, the favorite's are on one side, the random people who I'm not even sure if they were in that class or not were sat in the middle. And on the right side of the classroom, was me and the dislike club. There were a number of us. We filled the entire right side. 

Now, Mr. L would give out work for the hour, and he would sometimes teach. But he talked fast and mumbled. And I am not a maths person. Tell me to write a ten page essay and I will be happy too, but tell me to do fractions and I might cry. So, when Mr. L talked fast, I would never understand. None of the dislike club would. We would ask for help. Would we get it? Of course not. Did the favorite club ask for help and get it? Of course they did. Not only would Mr. L not help us. He would leave the class. For at least twenty minutes at a time. Then return. We would pretend like we were doing something. And then would leave again. And then he would return again, see that we hadn't done anything and proceed to yell at us. But the favorite club, they wouldn't be in trouble. But what did he think was going to happen by leaving 15/16 year old's alone and unsupervised in a class that they hate because he won't teach properly? He once left us alone to do probability so my friend and I took everybody's counters to color code them because nobody was around to tell us not to.This was all because he didn't like half the class so he didn't see the need in teaching it. 

But then there's the other side. I've been apart of the favorite club. And it was a great time. Given it was the class that I was 1st in for two years. I was still a favorite, and it was a great time because I never got in trouble. This teacher once said to me "why can't more students be like you." That was a great moment. It was a great class. 

However, students shouldn't have to worry about whether or not a teacher likes them or not. They shouldn't have to go somewhere else for help because the teacher refuses to help them. This shouldn't be a thing that happens. While it feels great to be a favorite, it feels awful to be a dislike. It makes the year difficult. And even worse when you have the teacher for more than one year. Teacher's are allowed to have personal opinions on students, what they aren't allowed is to pick and choose who they are going to educate. There is no fine print in their job description that says "you can pick and choose who you want to educated based on how much you like students." So why teachers think that their personal opinions matter more than education, I will never know. All I know is that it needs to be changed. The "I pick favorite's" teacher, needs to treat every student equally, no matter how annoying they are. 

---

Next chapter: The "Does he even teach here" teacher.