9: The Way it Goes

Song: That's the Way it Goes by George Harrison

Steve's PoV
My life is ridiculous.

First I like a girl who I have no chance with. Now I like a girl who I would have a chance with, but she has a boyfriend.

-----
Tuesday. Billy's not here today, which is a first. Marie is sitting with her usual table, mostly Billy's baseball friends and a couple of her girl friends. She's staring down at some sort of sandwich, chicken salad maybe?

-----
Wednesday. Billy's still not here, and Marie is eating a salad out of a plastic bowl. Never saw her eat one of those.

-----
Thursday. I wonder where Billy is? AP US is quiet without him. Marie doesn't talk to Bri like she usually does.

-----
Friday. Play tryouts today. Billy wasn't in school again, and neither was Marie.

-----
Saturday. I think tryouts went really well. Actually, I know they did. Carolina even congratulated me. I'm confused about her. Does she not like me, does she want to kill me?

Mei just drove our clique to the ice rink. Guess I'm learning to ice skate today. Gotta keep an open mind...

"You know, I took figure skating lessons as a kid," Mei smiles.

"Of course you did, you freaking stereotype!" Scott shouts. Seth doesn't even scold him; he's too excited about us meeting his girlfriend. He invited Sara to come along, too.

"Seth!!" A pretty young girl with short, curly brown hair and glasses walks, no, practically sprints in, presumably Sara.

"Hey Sara!" He stands up and gives her a quick peck on the lips. Scott rolls his eyes.

"Aww, what a cute couple!" Gary exclaims. "I'm Gary, and this is Mei, Tommy, Scott, and Steve." We all wave and say our hellos while we finish up tying our ice skates.

"Girls love a guy who can ice skate," Mei whispers to me when we're out on the ice.

"Do guys love a guy who can ice skate?"
Tommy asks.

"Depends. How gay are they?" Scott sniggers.

Tommy shrugs. "About as gay as you?" Mei doubles over laughing, leaning against me, causing her to fall on top of me.

"I'm not gay!" he defends.

"Trust me. I know you're gay. I know everything about you guys. Females just have this extra part of their brain that lights up when they detect love!"

"Wait a second. Back up. That makes no sense. Let's say for a second I was gay. Which I'm not. But let's pretend I was... and let's pretend your brain "lights up" or whatever. That would mean I like someone, which I don't. Now tell me, Mei. WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I LIKE?!" He shakes his hands erratically at the last part, and he slips and falls flat on his ass.

Mei laughs again, but this time, more evil. "Seth, come help out Scott!" She calls as he skates by with ease, holding hands with Sara. "You're the only one who can pull him up without falling."

"What about you?"

"Too weak." He shrugs and offers his hand to Scott. Mei wiggles her eyebrows and winks.

-----
That was a fun experience to keep my mind off Marie. Maybe my love life isn't so bad after all. At least I don't have a crush on my best frenemy, I think.

"Yeah, that's true." Guess I just said that out loud. Mei just pulled up to my house, I'm the last to go.

"You know who just broke up?" I ask, scrolling through Leslie's Instagram on Mei's phone.

"Leslie and Harris? Please say Leslie and Harris!" she shouts.

"Hey, watch it, you're gonna burst my eardrums! And yes. Leslie and Harris just broke up, which is good news for you."

"Why'd they break up?" she questions.

I shrug. "Apparently she got bored of him, what a bitch."

"Looks like you just dodged a bullet," Mei laughs. "Or life threatening cancer. Whichever works for you."

"That's a little harsh, don't you think?" I chuckle. "Maybe you can stick around to pick up the pieces? Do a little vacuuming, some polishing maybe? Harris will be good as new and you'll have yourself a boyfriend."

"Wasn't that Scott's plan for you?"

"Yes. But this is different. Talk to him in orchestra or something, bye Mei!"

"Okay, I'll try. See you Monday!"

-----
Well, my parents are out on a date, and it's 10 pm. I can't sleep due to the disgusting noises coming from my older sister Mackie's bedroom. Hope they're using protection... I can't believe she likes that fat turd Clyde.

The one who treats her well, acts politely, and doesn't care about my sister's ugly face. I sigh. I'm finally learning what it means to like someone for their personality, and there's really nothing I can do. I guess I can sit here and cry like a baby, or I can forget about it and live my life. Yeah, I'll take choice number two.

But I can't get that beautiful face out of my head. Adults say young teens can't be in love, but when I look at Mackie and Clyde, all I see is love. Maybe things could work with Marie and I. Plus, if that works out, we could get Mei and Harris together so we could go on double dates. Siblings and best friends.

But then there's Billy. Billy Thomson. What could she see in him? He's pretentious, disgusting, um...

That's it. He claims to be better than everyone, but now that I think of it, he only claims to be better than people that he is better than, using mesurable standards and others' opinions, and he only does it when people make fun of him.

Maybe I'm the asshole.

I grab my phone and speed dial Mei. "Hello?" She answers right away.

"Mei, am I an asshole?"

"Compared to Gary and Seth? Yes. Compared to Tommy and Scott? No." She follows that up with a lighthearted laugh.

"I'm being serious! All I can think about is how mad I am at Billy for dating my crush."

"That's life," she says. I imagine her shrugging in my head. Ugh. "Speaking of Billy, where has he been? He wasn't in orchestra all week, and Mr. Dave hasn't been throwing shots at his expense while he's been gone. I think he's sick or something. Maybe he broke a bone? Chugged down some painkillers?"

"Joking about suicide isn't funny, Mei."

"Yeah, I know. I have a suicidal friend, but it helps him cope."

"You do? Who?"

"Oh, you wouldn't know him. He doesn't go to our school, I met him at my summer job last year. Anyways, gotta go!"

"Right... okay, I guess we'll see, bye." Click.

And that's the way it goes.

-----
A/N: Poor Steve...

Leave a comment below! I enjoy the positive feedback and funny comments (I'm taking about you, nat1806 ...) ;D

See ya later, dudes ✌️️