Shopping Can Be Fun

Comenzar desde el principio

      By 7:00, we're finished unpacking my things, the necessities at least. Some boxes were deemed unnecessary at this point, like dishes, so we tucked them in a closet. Without even having to say it, we decided that Magnus and I would share a room, but that the gorgeous purple room I'd fallen in love with could also be mine to do whatever I'd like with. 

"I'll order us some take out. Chinese okay?" He asks as he hangs his coat up. I nod, exhausted and flop down on the couch. He chuckles and sits down on top of my legs as he calls. I listen vaguely to the one-sided conversation, dozing off a bit as he orders. When he hangs up, he taps my hip with his hand until I open my eyes. 

"We're taking a day off work tomorrow." He informs me, a playful glint in his eyes. I cock a brow and look at him sleepily, yet curious. 

"We are?" He nods and grins. 

"We're going shopping." He says excitedly. I groan. 

      Shopping with Magnus is worse than shopping with Izzy or Jace. Mainly because with those two, all I'm forced to do is follow along, comment on outfits they try on and carry bags. But with Magnus, he focuses everything on me. 

"Try these jeans on, they'll make your butt look good." Or: "Oh. My. God. You need some colour in your wardrobe, Alexander. Here, try this obnoxiously bright green shirt on even though it's the colour of vomit." Okay, so maybe I tweaked his words a bit. But it's sort of like that. 

"Here, I think this suit would look nice on you." We're in the middle of an extremely fancy men's clothing store, Indochino. The walls are lined with shelves of shiny dress shoes and pairs of fancy dress socks. There's an entire section for ties and the clothing racks are full of expensive looking suits that I would've had to spend my entire old paycheck on. I pulled some money from my savings account for today, knowing damn well that the paycheck I'll get from Magnus will dwarf anything I'm used to. Besides, I figure it's time for a celebration, even if it's in the form of doing something I hate. Like shopping. But somehow, like with everything, Magnus makes it moderately enjoyable. 

"It's a bit bright, no?" I ask, worrying my bottom lip between my teeth as I stare at what they refer to as an 'indigo' coloured suit. He rolls his eyes and puts it back before grinning and pulling a different one out. 

"You're right. 'Deep Teal' is definitely more your colour." He gushes as he hands the sales associate the suit to put in a room for me. I can't help but smile at his passion, knowing he loves fashion more than almost anything. He hums to himself as he wanders, I follow a step behind as his fingers delicately shuffle through the pressed suit jackets and pants. "How would you feel about grape?" He asks, turning to me with a deep purple suit. To be honest, I don't mind it as much as I should. I shrug and tilt my head a bit, reaching out to smooth the fabric between my fingers. 

"Does it go with my...skin tone?" I ask warily, trying to understand what we're going for here. He doesn't seem to notice my nervousness and tilts his head also as he appraises the colour against my wrist. 

"Yes, I'd say so." He hands it to the associate along with a few others; one charcoal (something I'd wear all on my own), a soft beige one that I never would've picked out for myself, a burgundy one that I actually am quite fond of, and one sleek coal one that he insists I'll need for 'corporate parties'. I don't even think I want to know what he means by that, but I just press a quick kiss to his cheek and follow him to the fitting rooms. 

"Well, just let me know if you need any help in there," Magnus smirks and winks at me, and this time, I only blush a little, rolling my eyes at the comment and feeling my heart stutter at his light laughter that follows me into the change room. I button up the first dress shirt and slide the jacket of the first suit on. Once I'm finished changing, I slide the polished black dress shoes on and step out. I don't look at myself in the mirror, letting my eyes find Magnus across from me. His eyes wander over me slowly, as if he doesn't want to miss a single inch and his lower lip is trapped underneath his teeth. I wait anxiously for him to speak. I'm almost too nervous to turn around and look at myself, afraid that I look absolutely horrid in the beige suit I have on. Magnus surprises me, as always and steps forward, smoothing his palms over my shoulders and down my chest, resting at the cinched part of the jacket at my waist. We stand like that, in hushed silence for a moment, the associate nowhere to be seen before he speaks.