5 - Bad Memories

The morning arrives quickly, the sunlight awakening me ten minutes before I have to leave. Just great, another day that I just had to sleep in...as always. Can I just get one day where I wake up an hour early? No, okay...just need more coffee.

My phone blares next to me, causing me to let out a low frown as I roll onto my side in exhaustion. Two hours of sleep once again, two hours of a dreamless and restless night. My blanket has fallen to the ground in a small pile, I shivering at the loss.

A knock sends me sitting up quickly. I pull my blanket back and and wrap it around myself to cover up. "Honey? You up yet?" I sigh in relief, letting my blanket slip back down as I say a soft yes. Usually, I won't care if anyone barges in, but I had decided to go commando for the night. But, the night left me drenching myself in sweat due to the heat. (This being even with the window cracked open)

The sound of her footsteps grows quieter and are replaced by my footsteps as I hop off my bed, grabbing my phone to check messages.

'We all miss you. Everything is nuts without you here.'

Smiling, I shuffle over to my bathroom, pushing the pink beaded strings away (a little cute thing I put up to sparkle the room), and I start to type a message in reply.

'I miss you too...this town is freaking shit and I just want to be back home.'

The message takes a few seconds to reply and I shut it off, turning the corner to face my small rounded mirror. My reflection pops up and I groan at the sight. My blonde hair is a rats next, stands of hair forming a large tangle in the top corner while the rest is curled at the ends, weaving through the rest. I don't even want to know what the back looks like. Curse my thick hair.

My hand fumbles to find my toothbrush and toothpaste until I finally remember it's now hooked to the side of the wall. As I reach forward, a ding noise stops me and I grab my phone, shocked by the reply.

'How could you say that Callie?! You better be joking!"

Confused, I slide my finger across the screen, opening to the home screen. I open up my texts and click on my bet friends name; Kenna. The messages between us shocks me.

While the messages above the last three are normal - just us talking about random stuff - the last few shock me. Her message is the same as when she first texted me, but my reply is different and I can see why she's upset.

'Aw...you're missing me? Well, I don't miss you guys. I love it here and I'm glad to get away from you...slut."

My world seems to freeze as I stare at the words that are typed. I never put that! I never meant any of it! I love my friends dearly. In a split second I'm typing an apology, tears rimming my eyes. What if she doesn't forgive me?

'Listen, I am SO sorry! Something's wrong with my phone. I would never say that, you know that! Please forgive me."

Her reply is quick and in a flash I'm smiling again. I knew that she'd understand, she always does.

'Whatever. I forgive you, but I do have to go. Must have been a glitch or something!'

I nod, though no one can see me, and put my phone down, grabbing my toothbrush once again. I will not text for awhile and hopefully mom will take me to get it fixed, that is, if she's not occupied.

The white toothbrush fits in perfectly with my slightly crooked hand, the toothpaste applying in a very soothing way. The green and white mix perfectly as it swirls on top. Setting the toothpaste down onto the counter, I reach forward to turn on the cold water, rinsing my toothbrush off a tiny bit before brushing my teeth. My eyes watch as a few pieces of the toothpaste slide off and swirl into the hole, as if disappearing without a trace.

In boredom, I let my toothbrush sit in my mouth for a second and grab my phone, one hand holding it while the other starts to brush efficiently. As I brush, I scroll through my Instagram feed.

Pictures of my friends, some including me, take most of the feed up as I only follow them. On a few I comment, saying how I miss them. One picture catches my eye, an old one of my twin sister Rabbi and me hugging. Her blonde hair is held into two braids while mine is in a messy hair bun, my eyes forming into a glare while she gives off this vibrant smile. The top of the page says 'Memory of 2008' and my body trembles.

I spit out my toothpaste and in a split second I'm in my room, frantically getting dressed while trying to push the picture to the back of my head. I don't have time to worry about it, and yet it stills claws at me. The memory of that day fills my mind and I can't help but stand there helplessly, my shirt dangling off my neck as I'm frozen.

---

It was a warm summer day, a day that was meant for school but it was canceled at the last minute. My sister Rabbi and I had decided to take a walk, but since we were seven our mom had to join us.

Rabbi had always been the vibrant one who smiled and lifted everyone's spirits up. Whenever she walked into a room everyone would start to laugh at her goofiness. I was the twin who stayed silent, often lost in my own little world. Everyone favored her over me, hell, even I would pick her over myself. She was my world, the one who kept me calm.

The day was supposed to go perfectly - a picnic by the waterfall and then off to swim in the lake. The exact minute we took the picture was a minute when I was upset with Rabbi. She had spilled syrup on my blue jacket (my favorite one) and I had been furious. So furious that thoughts of pushing her off filled my mind. She always looked so perfect and there I was, once again a mess.

As the picture was taken, the breeze started to pick up and mom asked us to back up a little, wanting to make it seem as though we were going to fall off the cliff.

Rabbi had been standing too close and in a flash she was falling, screaming at the top of her lungs as she fell to her death.

---

The memory fades away and now I'm on my knees, sobbing and yelling out for her to come back. Despite how angry I got with her sometimes, I loved my sister and she's gone. Everyone had blamed me at the funeral and talking to a therapist did nothing. I had been mute for practically a year. What could I do but morn over the loss of my twin?

The door opens and my mom races in, crouching down to hold me tightly while rocking my body. "What's wrong honey?" she asked in a soothing voice.

"I miss her so much mom, I miss our old life," I sob out. Her hand rubs my back as she tries to help quiet me down, which surprisingly always works.

"I know honey, I know."

~~

Okay, so this was mostly a chapter to get into a quick history of Callie.

Anyway...I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Make sure to let me know of any of my mistakes, vote, comment, and tell me if I should change anything.

Shoutout of the chapter goes to Rafster9004 Go follow them and check out their book 'The Jones Family Secret'. They are amazing and have been supporting me since Day One!!

  ~Kay