Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

“You’re going be alright, dear Alice,” the rabbit assured her. “Just take a breath.”

“I’m just so confused,” the poor girl uttered, touching her swimming head. “Am I still small?”

“It appears that someone has seen to that.  You’re now at your rightful size.  When I heard you were apprehended, I came here as quickly as possib– ”

“What of the Pales?  Do you know?” she interrupted without seeming to realize it.  “Were we able to secure them?”

White Rabbit shook his head. 

“I have no knowledge of that.  You’ll have to ask Cat when you see him.  Best not to worry about it now.  Do you know where we are?”

She glanced around again, shortly.  The world around her was still swimming.

“The place doesn’t exactly look familiar, Rabbit.”

“We are in one of the Queen’s Keeps,” the rabbit whispered. “She has several places all over Wonderland where she makes her strongholds.  It’s much worse than it sounds, really.  The Fortress of Doors was one; this place is another.”

“So, I don’t have too much to worry about.  This place will only be crawling with card guards, right?”

“Actually, Alice, this place is a bit different,” the rabbit said, trotting along ahead. “A dear old friend dwells here, though he is no longer dear – but old – and certainly not friendly.”

“Who would that be?”

“The Hatter, of course.  Not to alarm you,” said the furry fanatic, coming to a halt. “But there is word that perhaps your niece is here somewhere in these corridors.”

“What would the Hatter want with Morgan?” she demanded, raising her voice.

“Alice, please!  You must keep your voice down!” he insisted.

The rabbit looked around himself for safety, but soon turned back to Alice.

“It is quite treacherous through these halls, so you must be on your guard, but a thorough search is quite necessary.”

She nodded in understanding.  If indeed Morgan was here, she would tear down the walls to find her if need be.

“I just hope it is not too late…” said Rabbit, hurrying on ahead.

“What do you mean by that?” she called.

…but he was gone.

Alice walked slowly after him, taking in the scenery around her as the walls began to still themselves for viewing.  The walls were of green stone, and there were several odd, metallic carvings lining the arched doorways.  So, this was the Hatter’s Keep – which was one of the Queen’s Keeps.  Alice wondered exactly how many more Keeps there were that she would have to deal with.  What would lie in store for her here?

Hearing laughter from around the corner, she turned to see a small child, giggling hysterically, though there was nothing around to be amused by.  She stopped a moment and looked down at him.  He didn’t even seem to notice her at all.