Sun-faded paint formed around a pale outline of “Value Shoppe” above the doors and windows where the sign would have been. A few leftover bolts had been added for the desolate effect. They had certainly gone through great lengths to keep this place secretive--and cleverly outdated.

I walked carefully towards the old building that I knew too well- or what lay beneath it, anyways. I came to one of the three sets of automatic double-doors and pressed that secret switch underneath the right corner of the mat, cringing as the doors slid open with a fast whir. It seemed almost daringly inviting.

I stepped in cautiously, steeling my nerves for whatever might lurk there.

“Creepier than the basement.” VOCOM said quietly from the communicator hooked onto my belt at the left hip. Her voice rang out, echoing off every surface and back at me; the only voice in the silent, barren place.

The doors closed behind me. I took a few steps forward, glad I had come at the time of day where sunlight filtered in through the front windows, illuminating the dark, gray gloominess with a light blue shade.

Empty, white vending shelves loomed before me, broken and abandoned, some pushed over and others holding bits of merchandise through broken slots. Miscellaneous, forgotten items were strewn about here and there, some in shopping carts, others on counters or on the floor. It was a small place, but looked to once have been for necessities and general food items. Dust covered everything, making me want to sneeze. It smelt musty and of a dead carcass from a stray animal.

I walked around quietly, picking my way through half-empty vending shelves and tipped-over shopping carts. I avoided the back wall the most. That was where the entrance to Kortan was hidden, only visible to the trained, informed eye.

I sighed, unsatisfied that such a rumbled, messy place would only hinder my reactor’s damage.

“Do you think this was once a real grocer?” she quietly asked.

I paused. Wouldn’t she know something like that? “I don’t know.” I quietly answered. We spoke as if people were here. Of course, a few remained, those few sinister bastards out to kill me, but they wouldn’t be anywhere near Kortan’s destroyed entrance. I had personally seen it blown to bits by accident. It was only a week after the labs began to receive uproars, anarchies and violent destruction. This was also when they stopped taking in new participants.

I stared up at a faded, ripped cow poster advertising milk.

“Vera,” VOCOM’s voice turned with a warning tone. “You might want to leave, ASAP.”

I didn’t hesitate as I rushed out of the building. I wasn’t one to take orders like that too lightly. I had learned that in many different ways, like nearly being set on fire, getting my head severed, shot down to death by automotive, motion-sensor sentries, falling into pools of flesh-eating acid, getting crushed by huge metal walls and being electrocuted at inhuman intolerance.

You could say I had a thing for avoiding certain death.

I shakily got back into my car, starting it and driving away with controlled, steadied fear. I couldn’t rush away, that would lead to doing something irrational as well as look awfully suspicious should someone be watching me.

When I was a safe distance away from the abandoned building, I slowed to a stop to let my jumpy nerves settle.

“So what was it?” I finally asked, no longer able to avoid the question.

“I don’t know.” She stated. I wanted to slam my fists onto the steering capsule, but I didn’t want to hurt my poor old car over something that stupid AI said. “But it was coming close, and fast.”