Word Choice

Make sure that you switch up your word choice in your stories. Especially for eye color. I'm tired of hearing about which gemstone color the character's eyes are. There are more colors than "ocean blue" and "emerald." That said, this can be used every once in a while, but every time you talk about their eyes, don't always use that gemstone. Switch it up!

Describing (mainly eyes):
Piercing
Hard as stone
Cold
Unforgiving
Bright eyes
His/her eyes shone
Despair was evident in his/her eyes
_____'s eyes were warm and welcoming

See? You can easily change it up.

Colors:

Reds
Scarlet
Crimson
Candy apple
Cardinal
Wine red
Raspberry red
Lipstick red
Maroon
Burgundy
Rose
Blood red

Oranges
Burnt orange
Blood orange
______ had a muddy orange tint
Tiger orange
Ginger
Marigold
Carrot orange
Amber
Coral
Rust
Salmon

Yellows
Golden
As yellow as the sun
Honey
Lemon yellow
Butter yellow
Fiery yellow
Ochre

Greens
Earthy green
Sickly green
A green that made my stomach lurch
As Green as grass
Army green
Oliver green
Fern green
Hunter green
Moss green
First green
Pine
Lime
Sage

Blues
Deep blue
Sky blue
Azure
Baby blue
Persian blue
Royal blue
Midnight blue
Navy blue
Teal
Turquoise
Steel blue
Lapis
Cobalt
Aegean
Icy blue
Arctic blue

Purple
Royal purple
Violet
Indigo 
Magenta
Mauve
Hyacinth
Lilac
Orchid
Grape
Plum
Lavender
Wine
Iris
Periwinkle
Heather
Fig

Pink
Rose
Dusty rose
Peach
Taffy pink
Bubblegum pink
Fuchsia
Hot pink 
Blush

Black
Midnight black
Ebony
Inky black
Obsidian
Raven
Pitch black
Charcoal
Noir
Jet black

White
Cream
Ivory
Bone
Pearl
Frost
Salty white
Lacey white
Cotton
Snowy

Gray
Smoky
Stormy gray
Silver
_____ was the color of lead
Ash
Shadowy
Pewter
Foggy
Dusty gray

Brown
Mocha
Carmel
Chocolate
Cinnamon
Cedar
Coffee
Walnut
Brunette
Hickory
Penny
Gingerbread
Mahogany
Tan
Beige
Russet
Bronze

So there are some examples for you. If you want to use any of them, go ahead. Now I'll write two example pieces of what you should and should not do. The blanks are just where the story would change based upon what fan fiction you are writing.

What you shouldn't do

Wow this place I'm in so so weird. Oh btw I have blonde hair and ocean blue eyes and my boyfriend's name is ____ and he is hot cause he has emerald green eyes and brown hair. The place we are in is called ______ and I like it by its weird and I'm so awesome that I'm better than all of the characters and can do things that they can't do and that's far fetched and unrealistic but who cares and now I'm kissing my boyfriend. He's so hot and his lips are warm and I like him a lot. No I love him even though I barely know him and we just met.

What you should do

My morning in _____ started off pretty good if I do say so myself.

It began when my boyfriend, _____, gave me a rose. The rose was a beautiful scarlet shade, and he had taken the liberty to clip off all of the thorns. Truthfully, it had surprised me. Today wasn't anything special... right?

Then, when I had finished breakfast, my friend ______ told me to come with her/him, and I obliged. I was suspicious to say the least, as _____ could be, well, mischievous. Luckily, he/she hadn't burned anything down, and I could safely say that it didn't look like the zombie apocalypse, thank god. Instead I was pleasantly surprised to see a picnic scene spread out on the grass, still coated in dew. ____ was gone before I could ask him/her why there was a picnic in the middle of _____. Slowly, I had advanced and opened the basket delicately, and if I'm honest with myself, I was pretty scared. _____ had a knack for pyrotechnics. Apparently he/she hadn't used his/her skills, because all that was inside was a card. It was just simply plain white card stock with the words, "Remember out first date?" Written on it, in my lover's handwriting. It was positively adorable.

I had looked up and suddenly there was _____, my best friend.

"Oh, hey, _____. You scared me! Do you know what going on here?" I chuckled.

He/she laughed, "I do."

"That's not a very helpful answer!" A grin tugged at my lips.

He/she shook his/her head. "It's not supposed to be."

And with that she whisked me away to a very specific tree. I remembered this one. This is where ____ and I first kissed. We we're sitting up in it's branches and he almost fell, but I caught him. We had a good laugh about that. In the tree, in the very branch we sat on, was a card that read, "Remember? I almost fell out of the tree when you kissed me." And just as before, my best friend was gone. On the back of the card, it said, "Follow the trail." Follow the trail?

I scanned the area around me. What trail? Oh, that trail. Rose petals led into the distance, just as red as the ones on my rose that morning.

I did as the card instructed, walking past other trees until I came to clearing decorated in tea lights and rose petals. Chic, yes, but incredibly romantic.

And right in the middle of it all, in the clearing where we first exchanged the words "I love you," was _____. One of his knees was down on the ground and his other up in the traditional position to pop the question. And of course, he has a ring to go with it.

-------------------------------------------------------

So there you go, the first real chapter. I hope I helped. Also, you can use anything on here, except for the example writing pieces. Happy writing!