Chapter 10

I called Madi the next morning because I really needed to talk to her about what happened. I didn't want to confront her over the phone though so if asked if there was somewhere we could meet and talk. She sounds so innocent on the phone but I know the truth. It's all an act. She only wants to tear me and Jake apart.

We decide the meet at a restaurant near the halfway mark of where we both are. It's about an hour and a half drive for both of us. After I hang up, Jake walks into the kitchen.

"Need a babysitter?" He asks.

I smile. "You're the best."

"I know." He has the biggest, goofiest grin on his face as he says this and I laugh at him.

"Well I better go get ready," I say as I get up from the chair I was sitting on. Jake kisses me on the cheek as I pass him.

"Have fun," he calls out to me, sarcastically.

Oh trust me, I will.

------------------------------------------

Madi is standing outside the restaurant waiting when I arrive. She waves enthusiastically when she sees me. I force a fake smile onto my face and walk over.

"Hey," I greet her with a fake sweet tone. She pulls me into a hug and I carefully maneuver myself out of her grasp.

"Let's go inside," I suggest already walking to the door. Madi follows obediently.

Once we are seated, Madi breaks into the biggest smile.

"I have something amazing to tell you!" She's practically bursting with excitement.

"What is it?" I act like I actually care which I really, really don't.

"Well, Edgar and I are kind of... together."

I just stare at her. She frowns slightly when she notices my reaction. Or really lack of a reaction.

"Isn't that exciting?" She inquires.

I shrug. "I didn't even know you liked Edgar."

She laughs almost nervously. "I didn't either! But he likes me and..."

"You think he can bring you closer to Jake," I interrupt. I can't control it. I just had to say something.

"Excuse me?" She sounds defending.

"You heard me." I glare at her. "By the way, Jake and I are still together despite that little information you decided to tell him."

Her smile has completely vanished. She leans forward, resting her arms on the table. "Alright. Fine. You figured out I was the one who told him about your little affair. Did you really think I was going to keep that a secret? From what I can tell, you and Jake don't even have that great of a relationship. You're never happy, you're always fighting, and..."

I cut her off because I can't take it anymore.

"Me and Jake's relationship is none of your business! The only time I ever came to about him was when I was upset! You have no idea how amazing he really is!" If we weren't in a crowded restaurant I would be screaming at her.

"Sorry I think he deserves someone better. You know, someone who doesn't go behind his back with other guys. You would be lying if you said that Edgar was the only guy you cheated on Jake with!" She snaps.

"It doesn't matter," I snap back. "What matters is that I understand Jake and that I've been there for him through everything. I don't just like him for the fame like you!"

"You're right. I'm sorry," she replies sarcastically. "You only like him because he's the only person who will support your daughter."

I stand up then. I can't take it anymore.

"It was really nice seeing you," I say as sweetly and as fake as I can. Then I turn around and stomp out the door.

That was the last time I ever spoke to Madi.

------------------------------------------

When I get home later, Lexa and Jake are napping on the couch. I smile at the sight of them curled up together. It almost makes me forget that I just lost a friend.

I text Leah and ask if she's free to talk. She texts back and says that she's with Kevin and his family right now but she'd call me as soon as she got home.

I went into the living room and collapsed on the couch. I was flipping through channels for a while waiting for Jake to wake up.

He finally opened his eyes. He reached up his arm to stretch and he grabbed my wrist.

"Well good morning sunshine," I greet him.

"What time is it?" He grumbles in that cute sleepy voice that I love so much. I look at my phone.

"4:32."

"Shit, it's late." He sat up and laid Lexa down next to him. I just sigh in response and rest my head on his shoulder.

"How'd it go with Madi?" He asks me cautiously.

I shake my head. "I don't even know," I mutter.

Jake wraps his arm around my shoulder and pulls me closer to him.

"You don't need her when you have me," he murmurs.

"Thanks," I murmur back.

"That's it?" Jake sounds offended.

I giggle. "What do you want me to say? I'm tired."

"I was hoping that would get me food," he smiles his famous goofy grin. I roll my eyes and stand up.

"I hate you," I laugh.

"Nah, you love me," he calls.

He's right. I really do love him.