Chapter 7

Alvin gulped as he held the microphone tightly to his chest

Alvin gulped as he held the microphone tightly to his chest. He had never been this nervous in all his life... well, besides his wedding day, that is. Of course on his wedding day, he knew he would be happy and relieved once the ceremony had started. But this... but this was different. He didn't know whether he would be happy after this, or even more miserable than he already was.

There were all of these possibilities running through his mind. Good and bad. But that one that always seemed to make his fur stick up was what if Slade hated him for this? What if after this concert, Slade made sure that he lost all contact with them? Permanently.

It was too much for even Alvin to think of. He couldn't let the thoughts consume him, but they had. He still loved Slade, but he was fretting every second he walked out on stage.

"Daddy?"

Blinking a few times, Alvin then looked down to see Conner tugging at his arm sleeve, looking up in despair. Alvin knew why he had that look on his face.

"He hasn't called you, has he?"

Shaking his head, Conner then pointed over to where AJ was. Alvin looked in the direction and sighed as he saw his other son, walking in a circle, cursing his father out.

Alvin knew that this was AJ's way of getting through grief and when Slade didn't come or call for a special occasion.

"Alvin, are you ready to go on?"

Tony, the stage manager looked at Alvin. With a nod, Alvin sighed and looked out to the crowd who were cheering and excited to see who would be performing next. It was one of those concerts where the next performer was a surprise, so no one knew he was here.

The host was about to go until Alvin suddenly stopped him, his eyes wide. Everyone was looking at Alvin confused, but when AJ saw what Alvin had noticed, he growled.

Right there in the front row, was Slade, who had gave a kiss to another chipmunk.

Feeling the tears rush through his eyes, Alvin quickly ran onto the stage without even thinking. He could here people scream his name, but all he did was run right off the stage, and right past Slade and the other chipmunk, crying his eyes out.

Grabbing his arm, AJ ran out the same way, the crowd cheering even louder. But all the twins did was run right past Slade as well, yelling, "Daddy!" or "Daddy come back!"

Not one of them noticed that Slade and the other chipmunk had followed them out, and hid so they could here the conversation, but the three of them could not see them.

When AJ finally caught up to Alvin, who was sitting against a tree, he instantly hugged his father, pulling Conner in without even thinking.

Hugging back, Alvin sniffed. "I-I'm sorry, boys... for running out like that..."

"We know why you did, Daddy..." Conner stated, rubbing Alvin's arm.

"I don't think I can go back in there..."

Nodding, AJ kissed his father's cheek, making Alvin show a small smile since it had been so long since he got that kind of contact from anyone. The last chipmunk to kiss his cheek was Slade.

"Why don't you sing for us? We still want to here it."

"Y-You do?"

As he saw both his boys nod, Alvin smiled a little, still not having a clue that Slade was watching.

Taking a deep breath, Alvin hummed the intro to get a feel for the song.

                             [Alvin]
          "I can take the rain on the roof of this empty house... that don't bother me
          I can take a few tears now and then, and just let 'em out
          I'm not afraid to cry every once in a while
          Even though going on with you gone, still upsets me
          There are days, every now, and again
          I pretend, I'm okay
          But that's not what gets me
                           [Chorus]
          What Hurts the Most, was being so close
          And having so much to say, and watching you walk away
          And never knowing, what could've been
          And not seeing that loving you, is what I was trying to do...
                          [Verse 2]
          It's hard to deal with the pain of losing you, everywhere I go
          But I'm doing it
          It's hard to force that smile when I see our old friends
          And I'm alone
         Still harder
         Getting up, getting dressed, living with this regret
         But I know if I could do it over
         I would trade, give away, all the words, that I say
         In my heart, that I'd left unspoken
                            [Chorus]
         What Hurts the Most, was being so close
         And having so much to say, and watching you walk away
         And never knowing, what could've been
         And not seeing that loving you, is what I was trying to do... [x2]

         What Hurts the Most, was being so close
         And having so much to say, ane watching you walk away
         And never knowing, what could've been
         And not seeing that loving you, is what I was trying to do...

         And not seeing that loving you... is what I was trying to do..."

Once Alvin had finished, he hugged his boys even tighter, burying his face into them as he started to cry once more.