"I like my life as it is, Harry," she finally responded, prompting me to glance at her. She stared straight ahead. "We were born into the royal family, nothing can change that." Gemma paused, looking at me with a small smile on her lips. "But you, little brother, were always one to rebel against the status quo. I understand you feel suffocated because of this life—it's only becoming more prominent now—and although I can't particularly relate, I understand. I get why you might want to take a break from being Prince Harry and be. . . Just Harry."

Unsurprisingly, a rush of relief flooded through me upon hearing Gemma's words; utterly glad that, despite the fact she didn't feel the same way, she understood how and why I felt what I felt. Although my sister was practically made to be queen, she recognized without bated breath why I didn't feel like I completely belonged in a world as polished as the one we lived in. We were glorified celebrities, really, and although I realized we had some sort of influence in the country, it wasn't one I desired in the slightest.

The only part of our lives that I felt truly good about was when we held charity events for worthy causes and raised money for them—as well as meeting the people that said money would help. Yes, it sometimes stung to see people who struggled to live proper and healthy lives due to shortcomings that had unfortunately befallen upon them, and it made me feel all the more guilty for living a life like ours. But if there was any way to help, I would, and that was one of the few positive things I sought from this life.

But lately, I wanted to just stop.

The parties with the noblemen, the dinners with foreign dignitaries, dressing in stiff clothes. . . All of it. Whenever I was put into these kinds of situations—especially by my parents—I had no choice but to go along with it. I would smile, make conversation, and never give the slightest hint that this was the last place I wanted to be. Honestly, it was completely unlike to me be anything short of nice and friendly to anyone I come across—not because it would give me family a bad reputation if I was anything other than that, but because it was just who I was. I treat others kindly because that's how I wish to be treated—simple as that, really.

Now, I want to be friendly and kind to people I can freely choose to surround myself with, dressed however I want. Whenever I go out, I get to dress the way I want, but at these events, I have to be proper and sophisticated. But, really, I prefer a patterned Yves St. Laurent suit than a plain Armani one. . . Was that too much to ask for?

"H," Gemma suddenly spoke up, snatching me from my thoughts and prompting me to look at her. She was leaning on her side against the railing, staring at me as if she just had a brilliant idea. "Why don't you just get Mum and Dad to give you a year off?"

I blinked, staring at her in a baffled expression as I repeated, "Give me a year off? Have you met our parents?"

My sister scoffed with a roll of her eyes. "Please. Dad's not that hard to sway when it comes to us. You just really have to work on Mum."

"Gemma, what the hell are you talking about?"

An excited glint took upon my sister's dark green eyes, probably already feeling proud whatever idea she had concocted in her mind. "Just ask them to take a little break. You know, live out on your own and get a feel of how life is like outside the palace. Maybe even go to a different country—like the States."

I stared at her for a few moments, utterly bewildered and wondering if she was in the right state of mind. Then I began laughing, still confused and surprised, only for it to die down at the sight of her serious expression. My eyes widened as I stammered, "You're not serious, are you? How am I supposed to convince them of that? They'd never agree, Gemma!"