Chapter One: The Wedding

Start from the beginning

"Katniss." My mother says.

"Yes?"

"There is Gale. Go talk to him." She gives me a small push in the direction she was looking. I see Gale, a tall man with olive skin and dark hair, walking away from a few people. I sigh, and make my way over to him.

"Hi Gale." I say as I reach him.

"Hello Katniss. You look lovely this afternoon." He smiles. Don't get me wrong, he is a very handsome person. But I don't pay attention to just looks.

"Thank you." There is an awkward silence. Neither of us really know what to say.

"My, mom was looking for me. I better get back to her." He says pointing over his shoulder to his family.

"Of course. I'll speak to you later then." I smile, seeing as I won't have to talk to him anymore today.

"Save me a dance?" He asks. I spoke to soon. In my head, I'm screaming. On the outside, I'm nodding.

"Absolutely." With a smile on my face, and a grin on his, we both turn to go back to our families. My mother is the first to reach me.

"That wasn't very long. What happened?"

"He needed to go back to his family and he asked me to save him a dance." She smiles at this, any worry on her face gone. She turns away from me and goes to my dad, who is talking to another couple here. I decide to wonder the house, even though I've been here a million times. Everything downstairs seems crowded, so it's very warm. I walk through the main room, to the hallway. The grand stair case goes up four stories, on more than my house, each level with its own balcony. I start walking up, about 30 steps for each level. So by the time I reach the second story, I am exhausted. I stop to take a breather, and look down below me. I see everyone down there, still talking amongst themselves. It's a good 25 feet down, so all I can think about is how big a splatter an egg would make if I dropped one from here.

"We are up pretty high aren't we." I hear a voice behind me. I turn around and see a handsome man standing there. He is in a tuxedo with a red tie, he has blonde hair that curls and covers his forehead, and the bluest eyes I've ever seen.

"Just a little bit." He walks over and stands next to me, leaning on the railing just as I do. "So what is your name?" I ask.

"Oh, how rude of me. I'm Peeta." He takes my hand and kisses it. His name sounds very familiar. A name my parents might have spoken about at the dinner table.

"Such a gentleman. I'm Katniss."

"I know who you are. You are in The Big Ten."

"Oh, so you worry about that too huh?" I ask disappointed.

"Not really, but you are around Finnick's parents all the time it's all you hear."

"I misjudged you."

"Understandable. So what are you doing up here?" He asks.

"There are like, 200 people down there. And I'm not good at making friends."

"I see. I'm here for the same reason."

"You seem like the type who likes to socialize though." I say.

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, you could have walked right past me and gone downstairs, and we wouldn't be speaking right now." I laugh.

"True, but it's better to talk to one person than all of them." He nods downstairs.

"That is one way to think about it. I don't like talking to people in general. I usually just, go in the corner of the room and pray people don't notice me." When I say this, he laughs harder than I though he would.

"You're funny. I hate to cut our conversation short, but I need to go find Finnick. Save me a dance? We can keep talking." He says starting to move for the stairs.

"But I barely know you."

"That's why we talk." He laughs and before I can answer, he is down the stairs. I guess that leaves me no choice but to dance with him. I keep thinking about his name, and how I know I have heard it before. But I can't think of where I've heard it.

"Katniss!" Yells a girl voice to my left. I turn to see my best friend, Madge, standing there with fear in her eyes.

"Yes?"

"What is wrong with you? Do you want your mother and father to kill you?" She asks frantically, rushing to me and taking me by the shoulders.

"I don't think they will get mad that I'm on the second floor instead of the main." I say.

"Not that! You were talking to Peeta." She says.

"I know. He seems nice."

"Nice for nothing! That is Peeta Mellark." I look over the railing as he reaches the main floor again. Oh, that's who he is.

"Oh." is all I say.

"Yeah, oh. And your families hate each other. If they saw you two talking they would kill you both."

"Chill Madge. I talked to him one time and no one but you saw. No one is going to find out." I say and she relaxes a bit.

"Okay, But don't talk to him again alright"

"I won't."

"Very well, let's go. The wedding will be starting soon." And she drags me towards the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay! I'm going to say this again! I was inspired by @Staywithme_always and her story, Forbidden Love, to write this one! Go check it out! :)

Also, I would love to see people read this story :) And I want to know your opinions! So please share with me what you thought! :)

Thank you all! <3