008 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐄

INIQUITY
CHAPTER EIGHT

SURPRISE

     Juliana closed her eyes, irritation seeming to get the best of her as she wandered around the Salvatore boarding house, exploring every corner the house had to offer. She didn't know how long she had been in there, and she had drowned out Katherine and Stefan's voice as they reminisced their time together in 1864 a long time ago. Juliana had already gone through 5 bags of blood that she had managed to steal from the cooler without Stefan noticing her presence. She was bored, she was irritated, and she just wanted to terrorize her baby sister Elena, But, as Katherine stated, it takes time.

     Sighing, Juliana drank the last of the blood and threw the bag on the ground before speeding over towards the alcohol. Juliana poured herself a glass, throwing her head back as she gulped the substance down her throat. Juliana's face scrunched in annoyance, the burning sensation she once felt in the back of her throat being nonexistent. Juliana stared at the empty glass, before turning back to look at the alcoholic substance. Shrugging, Juliana poured herself another glass, repeating the same actions she had done before. She set the glass down, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, eyes rolling when she heard Stefan stutter and deny the words that came out of Katherine's mouth.

     The opening of the door made Juliana look up from where she stood, the familiar scent of her baby sister invading her nostrils, causing Juliana to smirk. Feeling Katherine's presence, Juliana turned her head, making eye contact with the vampire before disappearing. Juliana copied Katherine's actions, silently speeding over towards Elena, who by now had fully entered the Salvatore boarding house, calling out Stefan's name. Juliana silently followed behind her sister, her eyes narrowing as she stared at the back of Elena's head. How easily would it be for Juliana to snap her neck, to surprisingly throw Elena across the room, to hurt her. But Juliana knew that she couldn't, not yet.

     Sensing Juliana's urge to hurt Elena, Katherine sent her a warning look, shaking her head. Juliana rolled her eyes but backed off nonetheless, deciding to stand against the wall while Katherine took her spot behind Elena. Katherine remained a few feet away from Elena, who had stopped walking, and turned to look over her shoulder, a gasp leaving her lips. Elena quickly turned around on the spot, her eyes widening when she saw Katherine Pierce standing a few feet behind her. Elena's heart began to beat fast upon seeing the doppelganger, but upon seeing Juliana's figure leaning against the wall a few feet away from Katherine, made her heart want to jump out of her chest. The fear and shock she felt upon seeing Katherine seemed to intensify when her eyes landed on her deceased sister Juliana. Elena blinked several times, shaking her head before opening them up once more. But Juliana was still there. Eyes darker, an amused, sinister smile that sent chills down Elena's spine. She was back, she was really back.

     "You must be Elena." Katherine stated, causing Elena to divert her attention from Juliana back to the doppelganger in front of her. Katherine slowly took in Elena's form before moving her head to the side, motioning Juliana over. Juliana uncrossed her arms and straightened her posture, heels clicking against the wooden floor as she walked over towards Katherine and Elena. The sound of heels clicking against the floor made Elena's gaze move from Katherine back to her sister. Elena nervously looked at Juliana, her heart wildly beating against her chest with each step Juliana took towards her. During all this, Elena managed to get a good look at her sister. She noticed the black heels on her feet, the slightly darker color of clothing, her makeup also much more dramatic and her hair in waves. It was all such a drastic change from when Juliana was alive. Elena knew that Juliana was never one to wear heels, only on very special occasions, mostly choosing to wear tennis shoes and boots, and her choice in clothing was much more colorful and her makeup was plain and simple. This was definitely not the Juliana Gilbert she had known for the past 17 years of her life. This was someone else, this Juliana terrified her.

     "How is this possible?" Elena questioned, diverting her gaze away from her sister for a split second to look back at Katherine. Elena wanted answers. She wanted to know why she looked exactly like her boyfriend's ex-girlfriend and she definitely wanted know how and why Juliana was standing in front of her and not buried six feet under the ground. Katherine and Juliana remained silent, which put off Elena even more. "How do we look exactly alike? How is Juliana alive?" Elena asked, looking at Katherine. Elena had a feeling that Katherine was behind all of this.

     Katherine didn't bother answering any of Elena's questions and instead continued to analyze the human girl from head to toe. Katherine walked over towards Elena, placing two of her fingers on Elena's throat, slowly grabbing Elena's hair with the two fingers as Katherine slowly walked around Elena. "You're asking the wrong questions." Elena watched Katherine from the corner of her eye, a sense of relief spreading through her body when Stefan's voice reached her ears. Katherine was soon gone, leaving Juliana behind as she watched Elena intently. Once an injured Stefan came out, Juliana disappeared, but not before giving Elena a wink, a smirk gracing her lips.

     "Are you okay?" Stefan questioned Elena upon seeing the terrified look on her face. Elena shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes, swallowing before she answered Stefan's question.

     "Not really." Elena was completely thrown off guard. The whole doppelganger thing not as much as the fact that her deceased sister was very well alive and was now roaming the streets of Mystic Falls, plotting who knows what against her. It was all so overwhelming, all so terrifying, knowing that Juliana could attack her at any given moment. She hadn't seen Juliana since the night of John's accident, and even then, she thought she was going crazy. Juliana had a tendency of popping up whenever she wanted to, but tonight was just another example, it was proof that Juliana Gilbert was definitely alive. How? Elena didn't know, but she was sure as hell that she was going to do whatever it takes to make sure Juliana will stay dead once and for all.  

| This is so short I apologize - zully