Chapter 28

Meryl is woken up for the 4th time by a coughing fit by Maks. She grunts, forces herself to sit up and turns on the light. Maks is still asleep. She pats his chest to help clear his chest. When is coughing calms, she looks over at the clock. It's 6am. Rylan should be waking up soon, followed by early bird Kamri not long after. She moves her pillows so she is propped up. She grabs her phone and goes on social media.

It is the Friday before Christmas. Christmas Eve is on Monday. Today at Kamri's school is the Christmas show. All of the classes will sing different Christmas songs they have learned for the parents. Even though she knows it's going to hurt Maks, she will not be letting him come today. He is too sick. She'll just record some of the songs to show him later.

Maks had caught a cold. His breathing is raspy. His nose is stuffed. He has a reoccurring fever. He has no energy. His coughs are very wet and seem to hurt. She knows it won't do him any good to go to the show today. She needs him better for Monday and Tuesday.

Meryl, after going through all her social media, still hasn't heard Rylan fuss and Kamri is still sleeping. She decides to go downstairs and watch some TV with a cup of hot chocolate.

After her hot chocolate is made and she is settled into the couch, Meryl grabs her phone and sends a quick text to Jenna saying that Maks will be staying home from the show today and wants to know if Jenna would like to come with her. They were only allowed two seats so she hadn't been able to invite Jenna or Val to come. She is surprised when Jenna texts backs so soon saying she'd love to come.

Meryl hears Rylan finally waking up. As she makes her way up the stairs, Olivianna kicking her all the way. Half way up the stairs, she hears a door open and then another open. She hopes it isn't Maks. When she gets to the top of the stairs, she is relieved to see the master door closed. Kamri's and Rylan's doors are open. Kamri must have heard her too and went to check on her sister.

Meryl walks as quietly as she up to the door and stands in the door way. Kamri is standing at the crib, holding one of Rylan's hands through the crib and talking to her.

"You know, today is my last day of school before Christmas. We have our Christmas show today. We're going to sing lots of songs. I think you'll like it." Rylan starts to fuss again. "Mommy or Daddy will be in soon Ry."

"Mommy's right here" Meryl says leaving the doorway and coming into the room. "Good morning girls."

"Good morning Mommy. I heard her fussing so I came in."

"That was very kind of you. I need to talk to you about something" Meryl says as she gets Rylan out of the crib.

"Am I in trouble?"

"No Lovey. Not at all. You know how Daddy has been not feeling good?" Meryl asks as she lays Rylan on the diaper changer and starts to change her diaper.

"Yes."

"Well, Daddy was coughing all night and is really sick now. He doesn't know it but he isn't going to be able to come to your show today. We don't want him to get anyone else sick or cough so much that we can't hear your beautiful singing."

"That wouldn't be good."

"I thought that too. I asked Aunt Jenna if she wanted to come and she said yes."

"Yay!"

"So you are ok with that?"

"Yes! I love Aunt Jenna. If Daddy can't come, I want her to come."

"Oh good. Oh, that's Aunt Jenna now. She says she is on her way over and is bringing a special breakfast."

"What is she bringing?"