Chapter 4

When Meryl wakes up the next morning, she does her makeup as beautifully as she can. She finds her favorite dress and puts it on after eating her breakfast. She feels brave and sends Maks a text saying 'Good morning Kamri and Maks. So excited you are coming to church with me today. See you later this morning.'

She isn't expecting a reply so she puts her phone in her purse and heads off to church. She smiles the whole way, excited to worship the God she loves alongside two people who she has really grow fond of the past two days.

When she gets to church, she heads into the sanctuary, putting her stuff down in her normal seats. She and Jenna sit in the third row on the right side of the stage in the first two seats. Not many people sit in their row, not wanting to be that close to the front. Still, she saves 4 seats for today.

"Let's get started everyone" Ashley, the worship leader says, calling the worship team up on stage with the band.

Meryl grabs her phone, keeping it in her left hand, holding her mic in her right. She greets the singers that stands with her on her side of the stage.

"Expecting a call?" Lana, one of her closer friends from the worship team asks.

"Possible. Holding it just in case."

"Just in case? What's going on Meryl?" Racheal, her other close friend asks.

Thankfully, they start to practice the first song for today, saving her. It's not that she doesn't want to answer the question. She just doesn't know how much she can share.

They have just started to sing their second song when she feels her phone go off. She looks to see a text from Maks saying 'Can I call you? I need help.'

Meryl puts her mic on the stand and goes back stage to one of their side rooms. She takes a deep breath and calls Maks.

"Hello?"

"Hi Maks. It's Meryl."

"Thank goodness. Sorry, I didn't look. I just answered."

"No problem. What's going on? Do I hear Kamri crying?"

"Yes. She is really upset. She's been up for a while and doesn't understand why we can't come see you now. I told her church hasn't started yet and you are busy. She doesn't understand and won't calm down. I don't know what to do. Meryl, what should I do?" She says hearing his voice break a little.

"Maks, take a breath. We can... You can handle this. Come over to church now. She can stand with me on stage if she needs to during practice. Our pianist's daughter does a lot."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Please come. Everything is still new and a lot for her. Beth used to come to church with you guys right?"

"Yes. It was one of the only things you could usually count on her being at. Although the past 2 months or so, she wasn't there as much. But still, Beth was usually there."

"Right. So now Kamri is faced with going to church, knowing her Mom won't ever be there again. It's going to be scary the first few times for her so we'll, uh you'll have to expect this for a little while. I have to get back in there but come on over and come into the sanctuary. Ok?"

"Ok. Thank you Meryl. I don't know what we would do without you. See you soon."

"See you soon" she whispers and hangs up.

Meryl takes a deep breath, trying to push her blushing away before walking back out onto the stage. She then grabs her mic and gets into place. They decided to start the second song over so she jumps right in at the beginning but the beginning is an instrumental because Ashley wants to read something before they sing again. Lana, who is standing next to Meryl, leans over, looking worried.