"you're overreacting."

"would you like a table for one?"

"simon..." jj sighs, looking down at his hands before shaking his head. "okay you wanna know why i shut you out?" it feels as if the boy is trying his best to avoid the subject, but he also knows how stubborn the latter is.

"enlighten me." simon passes him a tight-lipped smile.

"i got in a fight."

"no shit."

"jesus, hear me out first." he rolls his eyes. "that fight was on thursday, right before you came to the cafe."

simon raises his eyebrows.

"and i was really badly beaten and feeling like shit that's why i hid." jj avoids eye contact throughout his story and then sighs as he finishes

the older boy feels as if there's more to it, and has the itching urge to ask who and what the fight was about but bites his tongue so the words don't spill out.

"okay." simon says after a couple minutes of silence.

"okay?" and maybe jj did expect him to ask more questions but also seems relieved at the same time. the blue-eyed boy didn't know if it was his place to ask him anyways, he wasn't really that nosey.

"but why didn't you show up for a week before that?" simon regrets asking the question as soon as it slips out his mouth because he already knows it would cause jj to laugh. much like he was as soon as he hears the sentence.

"aww, did little simon miss me?" he teases.

"that's bare weird you know." simon retorts, his cheeks flushed.

"what is? little simon?"

"yes, that's gross."

"why you dissing your dick like that, fam?"

"fuck sake." the older boy groans, running a hand over his face. it seemed as if the atmosphere wasn't as tense as before, rather more joking and simon wondered how jj could so easily do that. just change like that.

"but to answer your question i was caught up in uni shit." he shrugs. "as surprising as it may seem, i actually do have a life besides pestering and annoying people."

simon laughs, shaking his head and it's enough for the chocolate skinned boy's face to light up with a soft smile.

"how about you give me your number so you can ask me what's up next time you miss me, pumpkin?"

simon blushes before searching his pockets for his cell phone. jj almost seems surprised when he notices that the blue eyed boy didn't deny nor snort at him mentioning the missing part.

maybe simon actually did miss him.

it's two in the morning when the tall brunette feels his phone vibrate on his bed side table. he reaches over and raises his eyebrows when he notices the message.