XXVIII. Dancing With The Devil & Winning

BUT THE FEW SECONDS OF REST had already freshened my mind, and I descended to the floor like a spider rappelling from her web. My silver boots hit the dusty ground, and I was off and running, sprinting with a speed and ferocity that startled me. I tumbled over a box, rolled under a platform, and slid to a stop in a blur of motion, coming up inches away from Harley Quinn's face.

She reached out and pinned my shoulders, quick as any vicious animal, but I grabbed her by her collar and flipped her over in a perfect sumi otoshi, my aikido training finally pushing through. As she lay there, stunned momentarily, I reached down and pressed a nerve on her neck, paralyzing her.

A shot rang out in the sudden silence. I snapped my head up to see the Joker, wild-eyed, finger on the trigger. "Hands off my Harley," he snapped. "She's mine."

I had planned to use her as a shield, but at his angry reaction, I pulled the revolver from the slumped form of the woman instead, pressing it to her head. "Give me back my Duo," I replied, equally serious. "Or you never, ever get your Harley back."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Oh, please. I warned you. You cannot touch any family of mine and expect to get away with it." I hissed, angry at his casual attitude, and pushed the gun harder to Harley's head. "I want them back. Now."

Something that might have been fear passed over his pasty face for a moment. "Just set the gun down, little lady. Nobody needs to get hurt."

"You." My voice dropped an octave lower. "Hurt. Them. You lost the right to talk the moment you played with me and mine. We're both holding guns, darling, but there's a difference between you and I."

"There isn't a difference in the end," he said, smiling placidly, but his bloodshot eyes were wild.

"Wrong." I intoned, putting my finger to the trigger. "The only difference between us is when I'm holding a gun to someone's head, I'm not joking around."

Suddenly, his eyes narrowed in a cat-like way. "Go ahead." He crossed his arms over the catwalk railing and leaned forward. "There's a million more like her."

Harley twitched. My hand trembled slightly, but I kept the scowl on my face. "I'll do it."

"Oh, really?" He slowly cocked his head. A crooked smile spread across his face. "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Because I'm not. I think...you're one of those." Seeing my confusion, he elaborated, looking off into space and waving the gun in his hand in slow, meaningless motions. "You're a wild card, Charm. There's no denying that. You somehow possess the strength to stay together after attack after attack, with nothing but your willpower to rely on. However, we all have our flaws." The smile widened into the most sickening mockery of a grin I'd ever seen. His green eyes turned back to pin me. "And I think I've found yours."

"What are you talking about?" My hand was visibly shaking. I gripped the revolver tighter.

"I think that you're a pansy at heart, like all the lilly-livered babies that call themselves heroes. I've seen it time after time, so I know what I'm talking about. I'm an expert in hero psychology, so to speak." He leered down at me. "The same weakness in every single one. Even you, darling."

I shook my head violently. "Wh--whatever. I don't care. Let my friends go, or pay the price!"

"But you won't. You won't. Take a life, that is." He raised an eyebrow. "Or maybe I'm wrong. Go ahead, show me."

Harley flailed a little, the effects of the nerve pinch beginning to wear off. I gritted my teeth, knowing that for once, he spoke the truth, and no matter what happened because of it, I couldn't kill her in cold blood.

No matter what anyone has done, they always deserve the chance to turn around and make things right. Always.

My head sagged in defeat and I dropped the gun from my hostage's head. She shook herself and got to her feet in a flash, springing away from me like a frightened rabbit. "You really got me pegged, huh?" I asked, softly.

He cackled, pleased at his victory. "You hero types are all the same. You're not willing to justify the ends through the means. Your respect for life is your weakness." Suddenly, the gun came back up from where it had been laying, and he pointed it straight at my face. "Betcha you're sorry you didn't kill her. Ready to die? I'll give you one last chance for last words."

I swallowed hard and knelt on the cold floor. "I'm not sorry."

"Hah!" He sneered. "Incredible. Holding on to weakness till the end." His finger went to the trigger. "Hold on, this won't hurt...for long!"

I squeezed my eyes shut, too scared to see my end. Sorry, Andy. Sorry, Roger.

Suddenly, a dark voice spoke from the shadows behind me. "That weakness is why she's one of us."

I looked up in amazement. They had somehow gotten free. Batman and Robin stood behind me!

The Joker's face twisted into an angry snarl. "Three birds with one stone, then. Fine with me. Stay still, or you'll get your heads blown off prematurely."

Robin reached down to wrap his arms around my waist. It looked like a reassuring guesture, but from the way his muscles were tensed, I was sure it was anything but.

"Get ready to hold your breath," he breathed, absolutely still. Batman made no move.

The Joker tighted his hand on the gun. "So, Batsy-Bats, how does it feel to be killed by th--"

There was a sharp crack as Batman threw something down next to us. Immediately, a cloud of thick, billowing white smoke sprang up around us. Shots rang through the air, shattering concrete right where we had been as Robin yanked me sharply to the side. He pulled me up to my feet in one smooth motion, and then all three of us were running across the floor.

Batman yanked his head in the direction of Harley Quinn. "Robin."

His companion nodded. "Gotcha."

We split up. Batman snapped his grappling hook from his belt in one fluid motion and took off upwards as we continued to sprint towards the Joker's girlfriend. Shots rang out above our heads, and we looked up to see the Joker take a few more pot shots at us before Batman reached him and they both flew into a furious fight.

Comment and vote, por favor.