Chapter Four

Everyone says that love hurts, but that’s not true. Loneliness hurts. Rejection hurts. Losing someone hurts. Everyone confuses these things with love, but in reality, love is the only thing in the world that covers up all the pain and makes us feel wonderful again.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks until high school graduation. Two weeks. It’s Friday and we just got out of school, and our class trip is next week. I had to drive Jaden home because his truck broke down (again) and I’m staying there until my mom calls me or something and tells me to come home for dinner. Ever since the little dinner we have gotten closer - as friends. I asked him that night if it was supposed to be a date. He said no, which sucked. Chelsi has tried to get Jaden back and happily it is not working.  I’m having Jaden, Ava and Henry over tonight and we are going to play around in the pool and my mom is going to grill. Dad is supposed to come back Sunday. He gets to come back earlier than what he is supposed to, some other guy took his place and told Dad to go home, so he is.

"Hi! You must be Kaylie," yells a woman who looks about forty or so with long brown hair and green eyes. I can definitely see the resemblance between her and Jaden. "I’m Jaden's mom, Linda."

"I’m Kaylie." She just grins the whole time. I’ll admit, it’s creepy at first, but once you get to know her, she’s happy, kind, and sweet. Jaden's dad is married to another woman, who I hear is really nice, but his father isn’t. Jaden's sister is home for the weekend from her apartment in New York (A/N: They live in L.A.). And I’m really excited to meet her - I occasionally buy some of the clothes she designs. Just then, a girl who could easily be Jaden’s twin - same green eyes, same color hair, same everything - comes down stairs.

"Hi!" She says excitedly. She reminds me a lot of Ava, even with just her greeting. She’s bouncy and bubbly - I can tell from how she’s smiling and moving from her tiptoes to her heels constantly.

"Hi! You must be Katrina, Jaden’s sister!” I smile brightly at her. I’m desperate to make a good first impression - she’s my crush’s sister, after all.

"Call me Kat. I recognize that shirt..." She smiles pointing to my shirt. I look down and see that I am wearing one of my favorite shirts. Kat designed it. It is white and in black writing it  says 'Love' on it in loopy, cursive, writing,  with a pink heart in the background. It is a cutoff tank top. It looks adorable with my black cami.

"Oh, yeah. It’s my favorite shirt," I say, "I actually have a lot of your clothes that you've designed..."

"It's good to know I have a fan," she says looking at her mom. Jaden’s mom rolls her eyes.

"Well, if you were a doctor, I would care then," her mother says quietly.

"Mom! I don’t want to be a doctor! I have loved clothes for as long as I can remember! Why can’t you just accept the fact that I don’t want to be a doctor? It’s not what I want to do in life, and just because I’m not exactly like you-"

"Just because you like clothes doesn't mean that I want you to be a clothes designer and that I can just give up my dream of having a doctor in the family after me! I wanted you to be a doctor!" Miss Wills yells back.

“Mom, you need to just accept the fact that I don’t want to be a doctor! I’m not cut out for it! Besides, I’m doing really well at what I do, and I love it! Please, just stop!”

“No!”

“What do you mean, no? You’re just going to not accept the fact that I’m not going to be a doctor and crush one of your little tiny dreams that you’ve had since you realized I could get the grades for it?”

“Yes, because you could be amazing!”

“Mom, stop!”

"Stop! Both of you!" Jaden yells, making me jump. We all look at him.

He moves towards his mother and sister and growls under his breath. I hear something about calming down and to stop around Kaylie. After that, the silence and awkwardness is unbearable so I speak up.

"Kat, would you like to come with me and Jaden to my house and have a tiny pool party with my friends Ava and Henry?" I ask.

"Uh, sure." She says as she walks down the hall. She comes back out with a beach bag a few minutes later.

"Ready?" I ask Jaden and Kat. They both nod and we walk out to my car.

When we get to my house, Ava is already there and Henry is just pulling in. I drive in behind Mom's car and we all get out.

"Hey! It’s Kitty Kat!" Henry yells, hugging Kat. We walk into the house, to see Ava on the covered in blankets. She sits up when she hears the door close. That was until a little girl came running though the living room with another blanket. Ava quickly lays down and the little girls jumps on her. Ava moans in pain as we all laugh. Mom walks into the living room and smiles.

"Mom, who is the little girl?" I ask.

"It's Claire! Your Aunt Rhonda's daughter," She says while picking Claire up.

"We haven't seen her in forever. And why are you...and Ava, watching her?"

"Rhonda has a few plans and was going out with a few friends while she was in town, and her babysitter called in sick at the last second, and brought her here," I nod.

"Let's go swimming!" I yell and me and Ava run to my room. I toss her a bikini and grab one for myself. While Ava changes in the bathroom, I quickly change there. Me and Ava meet Kat in the hallway and me, Ava, and Kat walk to the pool. When we get out there I stop and turn to Ava and Katrina.

"I forgot two things, Ava this is Katrina, but you can call her Kat. And I'll be right back," I say, I walk into the house and though the backroom. I almost bump into a running Henry as I walk around a corner. When I walk around the corner I bump into somebody. I look up from my feet and see Jaden standing there.

"Sorry," He says then walks away. I sigh and walk into my room. I grab my radio and my iPod. I walk back out to the pool, I set my radio down, far away from the pool and connect my iPod to it. I turn on some good music and jump in the pool.