Chapter 12

I ran out the tall front doors and straight into the garden. I looked around for Finny but didn't see him anywhere. I shrugged and decided to pull some weeds while I waited.

After about ten minutes of intense weeding, I finally spotted Finny clipping back some rose bushes. I gave up on the weed that wouldn't budge and walked over to him.

I walked up behind him and poked him. He looked to his left, so I dashed to his right. He looked back in front of him, and I got back behind him.

"Hi there," I said, mimicking my father's signature closed eye smile.

Finny jumped three feet in the air, and then turned to face me. I heard him let out a sigh, and I opened my eyes.

"You look just like Sebastian when you do that," he remarked.

I giggled. "I was trying to."

"Then A+," Finny smiled.

I smiled back. "So what are we doing today?"

Finny thought for a moment. "You can go water the lilies while I finish up here," Finny suggested.

"Alright!" I replied, then dashed to the shed for the watering can.

I found it lying on the porch instead of in the shed, and it still had unused water in it, or maybe it was rainwater. Either way, I dumped the old and got some fresh water, and watered the lilies.

Finny came over when I wasn't even halfway finished. I was straining a little with the weight of the water. I hadn't healed completely from a few days ago yet.

Finny saw me struggling and took the watering can from me. He finished watering the lilies, then gave me the can back, and it was much lighter.

"Why don't you go and water those flowers in the corner by the little fountain?" he suggested.

I nodded and walked over to the area Finny had pointed to. I looked around and then instantly knew why he'd pointed me this way.

There was a small patch of black roses. They were right between the red and white ones, and were absolutely gorgeous. Then I looked closer, and saw one flower next to the white roses that made my breath catch in my throat.

The rose was half black, half white. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.

*

I sat on my bed after taking a long, hot shower. Finny and and I had gotten bored and started throwing dirt at each other, and I will happily admit that I won that fight.

I had on my PJs that didn't have a back, so I could spread my wings as I slept if I wanted. I had a robe sitting right next to the bed, in case anyone knocked on the door.

I brushed my hair and looked at myself in the mirror, extending my wings. They weren't at their prettiest when they were wet, but I still thought they were pretty amazing.

My demon wing was as swift as ever, moving with ease. My angel wing still hurt to move a little, and there was a giant scab from where the shot had gone right through it.

The ceiling was high enough, so I tried to hover a little. I tried going a little higher, and then my wings couldn't take it and I fell five feet to the floor. I also made a loud crashing sound, which probably caught people's attention.

I stood and grabbed my robe to put on. I folded my angel wing, and then started to fold my black wing, but a sharp pain went through it that wouldn't allow me to fold my wing at all.

I heard a knock on the door, and I opened the window.

I heard someone knock again, and I jumped out.

I heard the door open, and I fell to the ground.

*

I sat near the edge of the forest on the outside of the manor's property. I was trying to fold my wing, but it refused to move.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps, and I hid behind a tree. I heard a fallen branch crack under my feet, and knew I'd just blown my cover. I hid behind the tree anyway.

"Selena?" my father's voice called.

I didn't move. I refused to let him see what I had done to my wing.

"Selena, I know that your behind that tree," he said. "What happened in your room?"

"I tried to hover a little."

"And that's why your hiding?"

"I couldn't do it. I fell."

"What happened?" my father asked, sounding concerned.

It's now or never, I thought, and stepped out from behind the tree. My angel wing was safely tucked into place, while my demon wing was crooked in several places, and wouldn't fold. I was facing my father, but I looked down at the ground.

"What happened?" he asked again, moving closer.

"I told you. I fell."

My dad reached out and gently stroked my black wing, still wet from my shower and crooked from falling. His touch was comforting, but only made the pain worse. I pulled away from him.

"I'm sorry, Daddy," I said, holding back sobs. "I didn't mean to."

"That's not important now. What's important is that your wing is broken and we have to find someone who preform a surgery and fix it, but we can't risk blowing your cover."

Then an idea came to me. "Dad," I said, turning to face him, and ignoring the pain in my wing when it moved. "I think I might know who can help."

(Quick note to everyone obsessing about the fact that Selena sometimes calls Sebastian "daddy." She is a 15 year old. I get that some of you might think that's a bit too old for a daughter to call her father Daddy, I was writing this story when I was 15 or 16 and I still called my father "Daddy." In fact, as I sit here writing this note, I'm 19 and still do. And I probably always will. This is not intended to sound perverted or however you wanna describe it (If anyone wants to kindly correct my grammar in this note in the comments, feel free to do so. It's 8:30 in the morning right now and I'm exhausted and can't think). She calls him that whenever she is scared and life feels like a little more than she can take. It's to show and remind my readers how young she truly is, and it is to show her vulnerability (again, if that isn't the right word, please correct me). So I would like to ask everyone to ignore their urges to yell at me and please read my story with the innocence it was intended for. And if you aren't capable of doing that, please keep your comments about it to yourself. I'm kind of upset that I have to write this, and what makes it worse is that most of you will skim right over it and move on with your lives. Hope it's a good one.)

(Also, about the rose: This is a fictional story. Let me make up flowers if I want to. Gosh, you guys are picky XD)