Chapter 1: The Story Begins

One year and seven months.

It's been roughly that amount of time since I arrived in Korea after I got hired as an English teacher for the SMOE (Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education) program.

It's a fun job, sure... but in the first few months, it isn't quite enough. Especially with my lifestyle.

You see, I live in a condo unit in Apgujeong-dong which is located in (you guessed it) the Gangnam District. Yes. THAT Gangnam. You wouldn't believe the ridiculous Psy references my friends back home made when I told them that I got a job here:

"WHOA. Gangnam? In Korea? Really?"
"That's freaking awesome, Jay."

"Specifically in Apgujeong, but yes, in Gangnam."

"Niiiiiiice. I never knew that Gangnam was your... style."
"I bet one day you're gonna go to work with a... hangover."

"........Barry, Wally. Look, I love you guys, but those puns were terrible as fuck, yo."

"Aaaaaawww. We're just kidding around, man."
"Yeah, Jay. Chill out. Be a... *chuckles* gentleman."

" *sigh* Jesus Christ. I swear. If you guys pop out ONE more pun, I'll..."

"You'll what? Tell your.... DADDY?!?!?!"
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA NICE ONE, WALLY! HIGH FIVE BOYYYY!"

"...You guys are fucking assholes."

...See what I mean? Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, I live in Gangnam. Which is a VERY expensive place to be in. Especially in MY line of work. Luckily, on my 3rd month here, I took up another job as an English language radio jockey every Monday to Saturday, 2PM to 4PM in a station across the National Gugak Center in Seochosam-dong (which is located near the Seoul Arts Center). Being a radio jockey comes in really handy, especially because I'm a big fan of K-Pop. However, my show isn't focused on K-Pop, but the shows before and after mine are. So, since I come in early, I get to listen for a bit. Also, I usually stay behind for a few minutes after my shift is done, so I also get to listen to the show that comes after mine.

Okay, so just to give you a glimpse on what my usual daily routine has been for the past year or so, here it is:

From the school or from my condo unit in Apgujeong-dong to Seochosam-dong, it would take around 30 minutes to an hour, depending on which bus or subway train I take.

I usually take the shorter route (which involves getting on a train in Apgujeongnyeok to the Nambu Bus Station Terminal, and a bus from Nambu to the National Gugak Center), because every MWF, my teaching gig ends around 12, so I usually take my lunch at the Hyundai Department Store, KFC, or in one of the many Korean chicken restaurants (Koreans LOVE their chicken) near the Apgujeong subway station (or Apgujeongnyeok). On Tuesdays and Thursdays however, I occasionally take the longer "bus-only" route since my classes end at 11 AM. Besides, I like to pretend that I'm in a music video especially when my iPod Touch plays You Wouldn't Answer My Call by 2AM or Last Dance by Big Bang. It's the same with Saturdays since I don't have classes to teach.

After getting the radio job, it took about a month and a half for me to fully master the train-to-bus schedule.

Imagine how many times I got lost.

My knowledge of the Korean language is very limited. I can't read Hangul. Simple greetings and gestures, to the occasional, "molla" or "moreugesseo" is all I can usually muster.