Chapter 8

A/N: I suck at writing action scenes, I know. Thank you very much >.>

♬♬♬♬♬

The day went on normally, one could say. I was led back to my room and just left there. The maid wasn't allowed to talk to me at all really, so she left. I just stayed in my room and thought things over and over and over again. Sitting on the bed, I took a deep breath. "War, or peace, hm... Lose him, or save him... Save him? How will I," I mumbled to myself quietly. I was still greatly confused about everything that happened in just the morning. The rest of the day wasn't any better either. All that was on my mind was that man. I just wondered and thought constantly about him. How special was he to me, I wondered. Asking myself that... I already knew. I already knew that he was everything to me. Though, I don't remember why I knew so.

Time was slow, since I did nothing. I would stay in my room whenever I could. Only when they told me to come out, did I do that. They only told me to once in a while to talk, to lie, to me about things. Things such as this marriage I agreed to. I doubt it. Never did I really want to marry anyone... I didn't really want to take over the province, after all. Marriage would quickly put me up there and, since it is the princess, I wouldn't really have a choice. They fed me lunch, which I was for some reason wary about. I didn't eat much of it because of that feeling. I was always taught to be careful with the food from the other provinces if I go, but this province was on another level. My mind totally thought if I ate one dumpling, I would fall over and die. Why? I don't know. I only saw a bit of this place... I think.

Even so, I usually eat a ton, so for me to eat little meant something was wrong. I sighed, quickly getting tired from all of this boring stuff. I wonder if he has eaten. There was some left over steamed buns on the horse... Horse? Leftover...

These random things I thought about confused me even more. I just couldn't piece much together. I needed to remember more. Maybe if I saw him again, I would, but I learned that I was unable. He was going to be executed tomorrow. While I am still here? To do executions while a guest is here... Doing executions in general...

Though the time felt slow, dinner soon came, then the time to sleep. I was taken to the princess's room without a say, then left there with her. This princess was odd. I felt like I didn't like her a lot. I didn't know why, so I didn't say anything, but... I didn't like her.

"How are you feeling, my prince," she asked me as she started undressing. What was she doing... I turned my eyes to the side for respect and sighed. I wanted to go to another room. She slipped into sleepwear, thankfully, then made her way over to me. "Are you shy? You ought to see... this body of your future wife," she giggled.

"You're not my wife... You won't be in the future either... I know that, Princess. I apologize, but I can't," I replied, keeping my head away from her. She didn't seem happy with my answer at all. "Princess, I would like to sleep in a separate room."

"That so? Fine. I will let you do so. Tomorrow is a big day. Rest well. You will enjoy it," she told me with a huff. She then went to the door and called for a maid. Closing the door behind her, I heard her mumbling to the maid that presumably came, then I heard a loud slap.

In worry, I hurried over and opened the door. The princess just looked at me before slipping into her room. I stepped out and she shut her door, now leaving the maid and I out in the hall. The maid had her head lowered and seemed to be shaking. I looked at the shut door, then took the maid's hand to pull her off somewhere. I didn't know where I was going, but away from the princess's room was enough. The maid ended up dragging me off in the right direction, which was the opposite way I was going.

 ❁  

Once we got to my room, the maid was about to turn and leave, but I kept a hold of her hand and pulled her right in. She started panicking and shook more. "Shh, shh... It's alright. I'm just worried about you. Did she hit you," I asked as well as comforted. "Let me see. Is it bad? It's alright. Don't cry," I cooed. The maid looked awfully young. She looked up at me with tearful eyes, still shaking. One of her cheeks was stung red in the shape of a hand. I thought so... I sat down and made her do the same. "It's alright. It's alright. Don't cry now," I still kept telling her. Eventually, I pulled her into a hug and patted her back. "Tell me, how old are you?"