THAT THING CALLED PAG-IBIG

INTRODUCTION:

Video of Kids talking about TRUE LOVE.

Love is more than hugging and kissing.

Love is caring and sharing.

Love is when someone ask you "how are you?"

You don't choose who you love. It just happens. People fall in love.

Love has always been there since the beginning of the World

BIBLE TEXT:

1 Corinthians 13:4-7English Standard Version (ESV)

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; irritable and does not count up wrongdoing 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, and endures all things.

POINTS:

I. WHAT LOVE IS

· Love is patient and kind v.4a

· The KJV renders this word "long-suffering." Paul seems to be saying that love doesn't have a short fuse. It doesn't lose its temper easily. A person who exercises agape love does not lose patience with people. Love never says, "I'll give you just one more chance." Love is patient.

· And Patience should be accompanied by a positive reaction of goodness toward the other person. Kindness, however, is not to be equated with giving everyone what he or she wants. Sometimes love must be tough. So on the following verses Paul says what love doesn't do.

II. WHAT LOVE IS NOT

· Love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. v.4b-6

· Not envy or boast – we're not displeased with the success of others and we don't boast, because the more loving we become the lesser we need to boast, for boasting is the opposite of biblical love and once we boast we are just showing our immaturity and insecurity.

· Not arrogant and rude - Arrogance disrespects others and carries a distain for others. God calls us to serve others and be gracious toward them. Some says that their rudeness is them being honest but love doesn't always tell it like it is; it doesn't always verbalize all its thoughts, particularly if those thoughts don't build others up. There is graciousness in love which never forgets that courtesy, tact, and politeness are lovely things.

· Not self-seeking and easily provoked - Love is the very antithesis of insisting upon one's own rights. Me, myself and I. Love is not possessive, demanding, stubborn, or dominating. Love does not talk too much but listens as well. Love does not insist on its own way. It is always willing to defer to others. Love is not given to emotional outbursts, is not exasperated by petty annoyances, and refuses to let someone else get under one's skin.

· Does not count up and rejoice in wrong doing - Love doesn't hang on to reminders of wrongs. That moment when you become historical. Love takes no joy in evil of any kind. It takes no malicious pleasure when it hears about the inadequacies, mistakes, and sins of someone else. Love is righteous.

III. WHAT LOVE DOES

· ...but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. v.6b-7

· It rejoices in truth

· Bears all things – regardless of what comes; 1 Peter 4:8 says that love covers a multitude of sins. two very relevant applications: First, love doesn't nitpick (unnecessary criticism). It doesn't point out every flaw of the ones you love. Second, love doesn't criticize in public. It go the extra mile to protect someone's reputation.

· Believes all things - looking for the best in each one; That's what Jesus did. To indecisive Simon, He said, "You are a rock." To a prostitute, He said, "Your sins are forgiven." To a woman caught in adultery, He said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go and sin no more." It is the simple power of believing the best and not the worst about people.

· Hopes all things - remaining steadfast during difficult times; Paul is not here advocating an unreasoning optimism, which fails to take account of reality. Nor is he just teaching the power of positive thinking. But he is suggesting that love refuses to take failure as final, either in oneself or in someone else. Love never gives up on people.

· Endures all things – endure is military word – stand your ground and if necessary, die well. So love holds fast to people it loves. It perseveres. It never gives up on anyone. Love won't stop loving, even in the face of rejection. Love takes action to shake up an intolerable situation. Love looks beyond the present to the hope of what might be in the future.

REALIZATION:

16 So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. 1 John 4:16 (ESV)

1. GOD IS LOVE

· Love is God's greatest signature. Written all over the face of the earth and in every heart of living men.

· So if God is love we can say that... God is patient and kind; God does not envy or boast; God is not arrogant or rude. God does not insist on its own way; God is not irritable or resentful and does not count up wrongdoing. God does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. God bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things

So God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27

2. WE ARE LOVE

· We were originally created to reflect God's perfect character in righteousness and holiness. While God has character traits that He does not share with humanity (e.g., God is self-existent, omniscient, omnipotent), we can still see His shared attributes in humanity today, even though they are distorted by sin. Attributes such as love, self-awareness, justice, grace, and mercy are distinct from attributes associated with animals. They are part of the very being of humanity.

· So if God is love and we are created in his very image and likeness then we can say that... I am patient and kind; I do not envy or boast; I am not arrogant or rude. I don't insist my own way; I am not irritable or resentful and does not count up wrongdoing. I don't rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. I, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

· You are patient and kind; You do not envy or boast; You are not arrogant or rude. You don't insist your own way; You are not irritable or resentful and does not count up wrongdoing. You don't rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. You, bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

CHALLENGE/CONCLUSION:

That thing called PAG-IBIG that the world is always seeking, can only be found in God who created it, and that thing called PAG-IBIG that can only be found in Him, lives inside of you and His name is Jesus. You are loved by God, He sent Jesus to redeem us, to save us that we may live with Him forever, and now He is inside us, He expecting us to live this PAG-IBIG out loud; to your family, friends, classmate, workmates, even those who hates you.

QUESTIONS:

1. On the eight negative behaviors, where do you always find yourself caught up and how can you overcome it?

2. How does knowing God affects our view of love?

3. How does knowing that we are created in His image and likeness change the way we view love?