14 Mutual Feelings

Start from the beginning

“Move in together?” I ask a little perplexed. “Don’t you think that’s moving a little fast?”

He looks at me like I just suggested we move to the moon, “We’re married, Day. I don’t think there are any other steps before moving in together. Won’t it look a little odd to everyone else if we live separately after just announcing out marriage?”

“I mean, shouldn’t we wait a bit longer?” raising my eyebrows, I silently beg him with my eyes.

He shakes his head and moves to stand up.

“Where are you going?” I ask as I realize he’s putting his phone and keys back in his pockets.

He shakes his head again, anger etched into every pore.

I wait a second, but after no response and him sitting on the bed to put on his shoes, I continue, “Why are you leaving?”

My husband still doesn’t answer as he stands and walks out of the bedroom.

Scrambling to get up, I almost trip as I make it over his side of the bed and into the lounge, “Don’t leave.”

“I’m not staying here,” he tells me as he grabs his jumper off the back of the sofa.

Running to the door, I press my back against it and cross my arms over my chest to block his exit, “Tell me why you’re leaving.”

“You don’t want to be a part of this relationship. I get it,” he tells me forcefully. “We’ll get the annulment when you get back from England. Get out of my way so I can go home. ”

His statement drives something sharp through my heart. I have to look down to make sure it wasn’t tangible, “What?”

“Call me when you get back from your family’s house, we’ll go the next day to get the annulment. I’ll make sure Linda doesn’t schedule anything,” he folds his arms like mine. “Now move, I’m going home.”

What’s he saying? It takes me a second to process everything. He’s not coming with me to England. He’s scheduling our annulment. He’s leaving. He promised he wouldn’t leave and now he’s going.

“You’re leaving,” my breathing sounds like a laugh, but I don’t think that’s possible because everything hurts. My eyes burn hot, my arms drop to my sides, and I feel like everything I just ate is about to come back up. Looking up at him, I make myself move away from the entrance, “That was fast.”

“What do you mean? You’re the one that doesn’t want to be a part of this,” I feel his eyes on me as I walk into the lounge and sit down on the loveseat.

Shaking my head, I wave him off, “Just go. You don’t want to be here, I’m not going to make you stay.”

His laugh is humorless, “You honestly think that?”

I look up to see him looking down at me from across the room, “You wouldn’t leave if you didn’t want to.”

“I want to be with you,” he moves into the room to stop in front of me. “I want you to live with me and fall in love with me. I want everything about you.”

“Then why would you leave me?” I look straight into his eyes.

He crouches down in front of me and puts his hands on either of my knees, “I can’t read your mind. You need to tell me how you feel.”

“I don’t know how,” I admit staring into his eyes.

Sighing, he stands back up and walks toward the door rubbing his forehead, “Will you do me a favor?”