Family is only skin deep: Chapter 16

Start from the beginning

I was walking through the corridor going to Mr Lowsley’s classroom when my phone vibrated in my pocket, I sighed and pulled it out seeing it was a text from Barry. Come outside x it read, I clicked off it before walking into the foyer and pushing the front doors open. I walked out and saw Barry stood in the bike shed with his back to me “Chavvy whore at your service” I said and he jumped round then smiled at me, I smiled a little before he came over and engulfed me in a hug, I smiled against his clothes as he rested his chin on my head. “What did you mean by chavvy whore?” he asked and pulled away, he cupped my face in his hands and looked at me “According to your snobby girlfriend you told her that you didn’t know why you dated me and that I was a chavvy whore” I told him and he stared at me, blinking in confusion obviously “Oh you mean Gabriella? She’s not my girlfriend?” he said to me, I looked at him and smiled a little before pressing my lips against his. He wrapped his arms around my neck and kissed me back, I felt him smile against my lips before we eventually pulled away. “Happy birthday” he whispered in my ear, his cold breath sending chills down my back as he pressed a wrapped gift into my hand. I smiled and pulled the paper off revealing a small suede black box, I opened it to see a Pandora charm necklace “It’s beautiful” I said and let him put it on me, moving my hair away for him. When I turned around and I got a proper good look at him and noticed the new hair “Loving the hair Barry” I said to him as he laughed before playing with my own hair which was quite a bit lighter since the last time I saw Barry. “I like yours too, you’ve dyed it again ain’t ya” he said and I just nodded, it was a tiny bit awkward since the last time we saw each other he was being kicked out of his home. “What’re you doing here, Barry?” I asked him and I looked into his eyes, he knew I meant truthfully and sighed “I want to come home to be honest with you, Kait” he said and my mouth formed an O shape, I’d actually love it if he moved back in with his mum and Dynasty “I’ve missed you” I thought allowed and put my hand to my mouth when I realised what I’d said but he smiled and pulled me into a hug “I’ve missed you too” he said and we stayed in each other’s arms until the bell went and we heard a cough and pulled apart to see Dynasty standing there. I kissed Barry’s cheeks then walked away leaving them to it, I walked up the steps and into the school building over to where Imogen was stood. “What’re you all smiley about?” Imogen asked when I came over, I looked at her and saw Kevin come, he handed me a card since I hadn’t seen him all day and thanked him before turning to Imogen “I saw Barry” I told her and showed her the necklace he’d bought me. Imogen smiled and hugged me “That’s great babe” she said and we pulled away from each other, she stiffened a little and nodded behind me. I spun round to see Gabriella stood with Rhiannon “Oi Wark” I shouted and she stopped her conversation to turn to me, raising an eyebrow indicating for me to continue. “I spoke to Barry and one you’re not his girlfriend, two he never said anything about me” I said then walked over to her with Imogen “Oh and three, still a great kisser” I whispered to her and walked away.

Me and Imogen were laughing and walking through the corridor, arm in arm when we saw Dynasty come out the canteen “Dyn” I shouted to her and she turned around and smiled when she saw me “You and Barry then eh?” Dynasty asked and winked before laughing with us and linking her arm through mine as we skipped down the corridor going to Maths which went quicker than I expected it to and before I knew it we were in the canteen getting food from Carol. “Now since it’s your birthday, Kaitlin, I did you something special” Carol said and from behind the kitchen she pulled out three plates of slices of pizza, me, Dynasty and Imogen smiled before taking them and going to sit down together. All three of us were sat talking for a bit until Kevin came over and I finally got a chance to open his card, I opened it up to find a One Direction card staring at me “Oh haha” I said and opened it and watched in horror as it started talking saying Happy birthday in the voices of One Direction. “Hope you like it” Kevin said and I shook my head but thanked him for the 50 pounds Urban Outfitters voucher. I was about to say something else when Mr Windsor’s mother who was sitting at the table beside us starting choking on something, I looked at Dynasty but she stood up from her chair and went over to the choking woman, doing the whole thing of thrusting the woman’s stomach until she coughed up what was apparently one of Dynasty’s false nails. I stood and watched as Mrs Windsor insulted Dynasty then Carol before she stopped, smelling something. “That awful smell! The perfume! It’s you! She’s your new bit of stuff” Mrs Windsor said and everyone in the room tried to stifle their laughter’s, I looked at Imogen and put my hand to my mouth. “Well, it’s obvious why you don’t care about your family isn’t it?” Dynasty shouted at Carol before storming out the canteen, I went to get up and go after her but Maggie told me to sit down and I watched her as she went into the kitchen. I watched her then jumped a little when the lights went out even though it wasn’t like it went pitch black “Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Kaitlin, Happy birthday to you” everyone sang as Maggie came out with a cake with 18 candles perched on the side. I looked at her and smiled before blowing out the candles and cutting the first slice, I then cut one for Imogen, Kevin, Maggie and Carol “I’ll come back for it after school” I told Maggie and she nodded before taking it back into the kitchen.

When the bell went for the end of lunch I walked with Imogen to our English class with Miss Boston and sat down with Imogen at the table next to Kevin and Dynasty’s, next to the door. We were talking about Sonnet’s but I wasn’t really paying attention until Gabriella piped up “So perhaps Mr Windsor used something like that to woo Mrs Barry” she said and I looked at Imogen before glaring at Gabriella “Oh shut up Gabriella” Dynasty said “Well Barry certainly didn’t need to use one on you, in fact no guy would you’d jump on anything that moved” I said to her and everyone laughed, Dynasty the hardest. I wasn’t listening after that I just wanted the lesson to end, I heard Gabriella mutter something and I watched as Dynasty got out of her chair and bent down to Gabriella’s level “Do you know what? I can’t wait for my brother to dump you and get back with Kait because he will, ya know, he loves her like properly loves her not like your stalkerish crush on every man that looks at you” I heard Dynasty say and smiled at her when she looked at me, Dynasty was told to sit down and said “But even he knows poison when ‘e see’s it” then sat down. I looked at Gabriella and smiled at her smugly before she stormed out nearly in tears. “Nice one Dyn” I said to my best friend and she smiled at me, I looked at Miss Boston to see her glaring at me “Miss she’s been saying shit about all term, why should I have to deal with the likes of her? She had it coming to her” I said and our teacher just sighed before turning back to the board. After about 5 minutes I shouted out that I needed a wazz and walked out the classroom before Miss Boston could say anything, I walked along the corridor singing Hold On Till May under my breath when I walked past the quiet room/office/whatever room it was supposed to be, I still had no idea. I looked through the window and saw Gabriella and Hector sitting together, I clenched my jaw a little and placed my hand on the doorknob opening it, although I did love Barry I was having quite good fun with Hector and the whole sneaking around thing so I wasn’t going to cut him off just yet. “Sir I need to talk to you” I said and watched as Gabriella looked up at me “Okay, we’re done here anyway” Hector said and Gabriella stood up, she picked up her bag and stalked past me as she walked out. I shut the door and smiled at Hector. “Happy birthday” he said and held out a wrapped box which he’d just pulled out of his bag, I walked over and took it from his grasp as I sat down. I carefully peeled back the paper and smiled as I opened the box to reveal a Pandora charm bracelet inside. He grabbed my wrist and put the bracelet onto my arm before kissing my cheek and walking out like nothing had happened which is how we had to act around school, I loved it.

The rest of the day went by quite quickly and when the bell went for the end of the day I went back to the canteen and got the cake from Maggie before going to Christine’s office. “Come on then birthday girl” Christine said and she took the cake from my hands, we got into the car and drove back to the house. I was about to jump out the car when I saw another car I recognised on the pavement outside the house. My dad’s. I smiled widely and flung open the front door, there standing in the hall was my dad “DAD!” I shouted and threw my arms around his neck as I hugged him as tight as I could. When I walked into the living room I smiled even more when I saw Connor sitting on the sofa “Happy birthday” he said and I hugged him as well. By about 5 o’clock Dynasty, Imogen and Kevin had arrived and we were having a very posh dinner cooked by Connor, at the end of the meal I was handed an envelope by my ‘brother’ and I pulled it open. I pulled the card out and opened it to see 5 tickets fall out, I picked one up and screamed when I saw the words ‘Warped Tour’ written on the front “Are you serious?!” I shouted to Connor and he nodded, I practically jumped over the table to hug him as tight as I could. “Ah, ah, ah” my dad said and I pulled away from Connor and turned to him, he pulled out a small wrapped box and I opened it as quick as possible not even thinking to savour the paper, I opened the box up to find a key lying inside. “Look outside” my dad said and I went to the living room window to see a brand new car parked on the pavement which someone had just pulled up, I’d passed my test the previous year and my dad had sorted all the insurance out on this new car, it was mine, I finally had my own car!