Six

A.N Sorry for the wait guys, here's the next chapter. In Ashley's P.O.V.

-Emma x

-----------------------------

After a while of just standing there I brushed hair out of my face and walked back inside the store and back to the transformation room. I looked from the top of the stairs to see paramedics taking Dr Erskine away. A tear rolled down my cheek knowing how much Steve admired him for what he did. I admired him too. We've lost a great guy.

"Oh my god, Ashley" I heard from my left. I looked and it was Peggy running up to me hugging me. I was caught back but hugged back. "Are you okay?" She asked pulling us a apart and I nodded. She nodded. "Where's Steve?"

"He's gone after the guy" I said quietly as I saw Howard below trying to take it all in. I excused myself from Peggy and went to see if he was okay. "Are you okay Howard?" I asked and he looked up to me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Why wouldn't I be?" He asked trying to look unharmed by everything. But i could see right through him, so I hugged him. He was surprised but hugged me back anyway. I pulled away from him and smiled. "What was that for?"

"You look like you needed it" I smiled and he smiled back

"Agent Gomez!" Colnel Phillips called behind me making me turn towrards him. "I want you to find out anything you can about that idiot that did all this. Name, Age, where he's from, and most importantly, who he's working for"

I nodded. "Yes Sir." He nodded before turning round and leaving. I sighed and leaned against the counter top crossing my arms.

"I'm sorry about Erksine by the way." Howards said standing next to me. "He was a good guy." He said fiddling with a switch making me sigh heavily.

"A very good guy." I whispered as Howard went away somewhere.

"Ashley." I looked up and saw Peggy. "Steve's in the medical ward." I stood up straight and nodded for her to show me where he was. She walked with me leading me to a white hallway with white doors. "Here" Peggy whispered opening a door for me. I walked to it and saw Steve sat on a bench. with a sad look on his face. He saw me and I ran to hug him. He hugged me tight and I didn't wanna let go.

"You okay?" I asked into his shoulder.

"I'm fine. Just a few scratches." He said making me nod before an agent came in. Two nurses then came closer with empty viles and a needle. I gave Steve a confused look. I looked again and realised what was going on.

"Giving blood?" I asked him as a nurse asked him to sit down so she could take some blood.

"The serum is in my blood. Maybe we can replicate it." He said as the nurse began taking blood.

"Steve I don't think it works like that/" I said but he didn't listen to me. After a while the nurse had taken a lot of his blood and Peggy had joined us.

"That enough?" Steve asked.

"Any hope of reproducing the serum is locked in your genetic code." Peggy explained as she held a file close to her.

"But without Erksine it would take years/" I pointed out. Erksine was a genius, so anyone trying to replicate this serum, would have a right job to do.

"He deserved more than this." Steve said adjusting his sleeve in the mirror.

"If it could work only once, he'd be proud it was you." I said as Peggy looked through the file. Steve looked at me with no emotion so I smiled. He didn't smile back.

I then looked out the window to see the ship that the guy tried to get away in, being monitored by Howard and some scientist. Steve looked like he was questioning what he did.

"You did the right thing Steve." I said putting my hand on his arm. He weak smiled at me before Peggy led us out the door.

"Hydra is the Nazi deep-science division. It's led by Johann Schmidt." she explained to a guy who took his hat off. "But he has much bigger ambitions."

"Hydra is practically a cult. They worship Schmidt. They think he's invisible" Colonel Phillips carried on.

"Which is stupid." I mumbled to myself.

"Agent Gomez!" Phillips warned me.

"Sorry sir."

"So what are you going to do about it?" The guy asked changing the subject back.

"I spoke to the president this morning. As of today, the SSR is being re-tasked." Phillips said walking towards me and Peggy.

"Colonel?" Peggy asked.

"We are taking the flight to Hydra. Pack your bags, Agent Carter, Gomez. You too Stark. We're flying to London tonight" I wanted to say what I thought but after thinking about it, i shut my mouth.

"Sir?" Steve stopped Colonel Phillips. What is he doing? "If you're going after Schmitt, I want in." I mentally groaned as I knew he was gonna say that.

"You're an experiment. You're going to Alamogordo."

"The serum worked." Steve argued.

"I asked for an army and I got was you. You are not enough." Right, that's it. I've had enough of this.

"Not enough?" I asked making Colonel Phillips stop and turn back to me. Everyone's eyes were on me but I didn't care. I'm sticking up for my best friend, and the man I love.

I scoffed. "You have got to be kidding me"

"You got something to say Agent Gomez I suggest you say it." Phillips said walking closer.

"Yeah I do actually. Steve is not and never will be 'not enough'. He will always be enough." I argued before Steve grabbed my arm.

"Ashley, please." He whispered but I shushed him.

"You gave him this amazing opportunity and you're just gonna go and say he's not good enough? Well I'm sorry sir but for once you are wrong."

"Ashley, please." Peggy whispered but I shushed her too.

"He is your best chance at finding Schmidt and taking him down. And you need to find him and take him down right?"

"I suggest you shut your mouth Agent Gomez before I tell you to pack your bags and leave." Phillips warned. I needed to stick up for Steve but I didn't wanna lose my job here. It was the best one I've ever had. "I appreciate you sticking up for Mr experiment but you are not his mother or in charge here, so what I say goes. Got it?" he said angrily and I crossed my arms.

"Yes sir" I said tapping my foot before Colonel Phillips nodded and left.

"You didn't have to do that Ash" Steve whispered to me.

"Yes I did." I smiled up at him. The guy from before then walked in front of us.

"With all due respect to the Colonel, I think Gomez is right. We're missing the point. I've seen you in action, Steve. More importantly, the country's seen it. Paper" The guy pointed to another guy who gave him a paper. Th headline was 'Nazis in New York. Mystery Man saves Child'.

"The enlistment lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that, and hide him in a lab. Son, do you want to serve you country "He asked leading Steve away from us, but I could still hear him. "On the most important battlefield of the war?"

"Sir, that's all I want." Steve said proudly.

"Then, congratulations. You just got promoted." Him and Steve then shook hands.

But promoted to what?

----------------------------------------

A.N Sorry it's short my lovely readers but I thought it was good to end it here.

-Emma x