F R I E N D S

Mulai dari awal

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks.

I feel taken aback by the softness in his voice, I never in my life expected this from a soldier. And a Reestablishment soldier at that. For a moment I'm so stupefied that I can't even form words as a coherent reply.

"Even if I did, which I don't by the way." I raise my eyes suspiciously. "What makes you think I'm going to talk to you of all people about it."

"Hmm, lemme think." He tilts his head, thinking. "Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm the most handsome man the human race has ever seen!"

Despite myself, I bite back a smile. "What the hell does my situation have anything to do with your dumb-stricken looking face that reminds me of a frog?"

He looks offended, "Jeez Rachel, you sure do know how to shoot down a guy's ego. I'm not a frog, for fuck's sake. Does a frog have a smoking hot body? I doubt it. It's not my fault that you can't detect a beautiful male species when you spot one."

I almost choke on my own spit. "Beautiful male species?!"

"Yes." He gives me a toothy grin and then glares at me. "Why do you have any doubts?"

"A million, just to name a few."

"Hey now." He breathes through his nose, as if calming his anger. "Don't bring my face into this messed up situation."

"I didn't actually." I wrinkle my nose. "You did."

"Doesn't matter if I did. You don't get to bring my face into this."

"That doesn't even make any sense." I argue.

"Yes, it does. It makes perfect sense." He touches his chest with his hand. "Kenji can bring his face into the conversation but..." he opens his arms wide. "The rest of the world can't."

"Kenji is a vain, self-loving lunatic." I mutter.

"Did Kenji say anything different?" He plays. "Did Kenji ever deny that-"

"You're even a bigger drama queen than I am." I cock my eyebrow at him.

"I'm a drama king." He sniffs. "Not queen."

"Whatever the hell your majesty wants."

I give him a watery smile before looking ahead again. This time the silence isn't awkward, it's like an embrace. Though I might never admit it to Kenji who is a Reestablishment soldier, but he did uplift my brooding mood. I feel a lot better. Normal almost.

"You know," He says after a comfortable silence of four minutes. "For a girl with a nice strong boot, you sure are a crybaby."

My lips pucker into a smirk. "You of all people would know how strong my kick is."

He clenches his jaw, almost painfully before looking ahead. "Shut up."

I bite my lip from laughing out loud. I feel giddy and happy. He smiles too after a while of glaring at the sky.

"That was totally uncalled for, by the way." Kenji grumbles.