Chapter 2: The Missing

"Come on, we need to get to the movies before they get too packed!" Karter's brother said.

"Hold on, we have to wait for your sister." His mom explained.

"But mom, we're not going to be able to get a seat if we wait!"

"Isaac, we're going to wait, whether you like it or not!" Isaac's mom explained. She could feel the heat in her cheeks when she yelled at him.

"Where is she anyways? She should be home by now. I told her no going over to her friend's house." His dad started. He was wrestling some papers in his study.

"Maybe we should call."

Isaac's mom picked up the phone, dialed some numbers, and put it to her ear.

It rang and rang, but nobody answered.

"Maybe I'll try one of her friends." She said aloud to herself.

"Hello?" Abby said.

"Hi, it's Kartar's mom. I was just calling to see if you have seen her."

"No, I haven't seen her since we walked home together." Said Abby, concerned.

"Well, do you know where she might have gone?" You could hear the shakiness in her voice.

"No, but I'll let you know if she calls or if I see her, ok?"

"Ok, thanks, bye." Her mom hung up the phone and looked out the window.

What if she doesn't come home, she thought.

"What's wrong, honey?" Her husband said, waking her from her thought.

"Oh, it's just... I just hung up with one of Karter's friends and she said she hasn't seen her. What if she doesn't come home?" she explained.

"She will, I bet she's just out with some other friends. Probably causing some trouble."

"You're probably right, but I'm still worried about her."

Isaac interrupted them, "Can we go now?"

"No, we're still waiting for your sister to come home!" His mom explained, getting annoyed.

They sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. They watched the TV for hours, still waiting for Karter to come home and missing the movie.

"Maybe she's just lost track of time." The dad said to his wife when she asked him 'where is she'.

They waited another hour until they all started to get worried.

"What if she doesn't come home?"

"Should we call the cops?"

"Yeah, we should report this to the police station." The mom agreed.

She turned to Isaac.

"Isaac, honey, we need you to get on your shoes and jacket, we're going to go leave." She explained.

They all piled in the truck and left their home with a jolt.

The mom sat there staring off into the distance watching the trees go by.

What if we can't find her? She paused, Don't think like that! She thought.

The police station was only a block away when she got a phone call.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Hi, it's Abby. I was calling to see if you found Karter." Abby explained.

"Actually, no. We haven't found her. I appreciate it that you care about her so much."

"No problem, she's my best friend. I'll let my mom know to ask around for her and we'll call the police."

"Oh, no, you don't have to call the police. We just did that a little bit ago."

"Ok, well bye."

There was a beep when Abby hung up.

"What did she say?" the husband asked.

"She asked if we found her yet."

She turned to her husband a little teary eyed.

"What if she never comes home? What will we do?"

"Don't think like that! We are going to find her and she will come home!" Her husband said determinedly.

They pulled into the parking lot and went inside.

Inside the building, police officers were buzzing around all going to different places.

"Hello, can I help you?" asked a lady, surprising them.

"Oh, yes. We would like to report a missing person." The mother explained.

"What's the name?"

"Karter Cook."

The lady looked up from her computer for the first time, "Has your daughter ever gone missing before?"

"No, why would you ask that?"

"Just making sure she's not just making a scene and besides it is part of the regulation." The lady said rudely.

"Would you care less if she has ran away before?"

"No, it's just a....,"

"Ok, let's just get back to looking for my daughter." The husband said cutting her off.

"Ok, when was the last time you saw her?" the lady asked looking back at her computer.

"Um. Hmm. Oh, when we dropped her off for school. Then we came home and she wasn't there anymore."

"Ok, I will give this to one of the police officers and look farther into it."

"What! Why can't we have a search party come and look for her NOW?" the mother demanded.

"We have other things to deal with. You are not the most urgent person we need to help."

"Oh my GOD! So we aren't important? What is wrong with you?" the mother screamed.

A police officer came over to them, "Is there something wrong here?"

"Yes, this lady wants to be a...,"

"Yes, officer. This lady seems to think that our daughter missing isn't as important as her computer!" The husband said cutting off his wife.

"What if your kids went missing? I guess you would have to wait until someone is done playing their games on a computer!" The mother shouted at her, getting redder by the second.

"Mam, I need you to calm down."

"Don't tell me what to do!" she said breaking down, crying puddles of tears.

"Listen, I know how bad my assistant has treated you and I will handle it later, but now we will deal with your problem, ok?" the police officer said shooting the lady a look.

"Now, what is the problem?" he asked the mother when she calmed down.

She gave the lady a scowl then said to the police officer, "Our daughter hasn't come home and she hasn't answered any of our calls."

"Ok, so we will send a search party as soon as we can. Probably tomorrow or even earlier."

"Thank you so much."