Chapter 1: The Chase

Karter:

"Karter, you need to just forget about her, ok?" Abby lectured.

I gave her a look. She knows how much I can't forget about people who have pissed me off. I sighed knowing that even though I was mad, I wouldn't take action.

"I'll try," This would be on my mind for the rest of the night.

We turned in different directions at the corner.

"I'll see you tomorrow, ok?" I shouted to her as I started running backward towards my house.

"Yeah, ok," She said.

I sighed realizing I had a lot of homework that I really didn't want to do. Great I won't be able to think about homework when I'm thinking about that bitch. A girl in my class, Veronica, or as I liked to call her bitch, was trying to get punched. She would come up to my crush and flirt with him and then apply how it was such a shame that I had a crush on him and he didn't like me back. I desperately wanted to punch her in her pretty, flawless face.

I ran up the driveway to the door. I looked around, making sure no one was watching, then bent down and looked for the key under our mat.

It wasn't there. Oh shit. I wiggled the handle on the door and it came up easily.

Slowly, I entered my house. Something was wrong. It felt quieter than usual, I didn't feel alone. I looked around, leaving the door open and staying close to it. If anyone tried to attack me, I could make a run for it. Or at least scream for help.

I took a step forward, then another. I decided it was probably just my mom who forgot to lock the door and put the key back.

I made my way up the stairs. I turned the corner and walked to my room. The door was open and my clothes were scattered all over the floor.

Something was wrong.

I stepped over the clothes and went to the closet. I opened the door and.... nothing.

I'm fucking screwed!

I went back downstairs. I hadn't even realized I had my backpack still on. I set it down by the door and took out my homework. Ah, math. I hate math! Creak!

I yanked my head towards the sound.

Nobody.

"Ok, Karter, get back to work. You've already checked to see if anyone was here." I said aloud to myself.

I went back to my homework.

What was the area of a circle whose radius measures 45 centimeters?

Creak!

Quickly I stood up. I wasn't about to be attacked by someone. I ran over to the kitchen and grabbed a knife.

Over by the stairs, I heard something rustling around and knocking something down.

What was it looking for?

"Hello?" I said loudly, making sure he, or she, heard me.

No answer.

"I'm not afraid, I have a knife!" I threatened.

Unhurriedly, a person came out of the corner wearing all black. The body was huge, like a man's. The only part of skin showing was his eyes. They were fierce, you could see the hate burning in them.

"What do you want?" I asked him, my voice shaky. He took a step towards me. He obviously wasn't afraid of me.

"If you want money, I am sure I could give you whatever you want."

Our eyes locked. Then he moved, breaking our gaze. He came hurtling at me.

I squeezed the knife I had in my hands, preparing to fight. I swung the knife at him, and he dodged it.

He tried to punch me in the face, but I blocked it with my elbow.

Thank god mom made me take those self-defense classes. I thought I didn't need them, turns out I would actually have to defend myself.

Then I remembered, a door was right behind me.

I swung one more time gashing him in the leg for a distraction and then opened the door.

A rush of cold air brushed my face as I ran for my life towards the creek. I didn't turn around, but I know that he was right behind me.

I could tell that even though the knife went pretty deep in his leg, he didn't really feel it. Even though I know he was pretty far away, I thought I could feel his hot breath on me as I ran.

I tried running faster, but my legs began to get burn. I pushed the branches out of my way.

I took a chance and peeked behind me. Hot on my trail was the person in black. He looked like he was catching up fast. His eyes were staring me straight in the face, the looked like the carried hell in them.

I turned back around, only to find a log right in front of me. Face first, I fell to the ground. My knife went flying out of my hand and scattered across the ground, landing near a tree. My vision began to blur, but I saw the person come to a stop in front of me. I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head and then it all went black.