"Oh, if you want it, you could have the shit beaten out of you by me, when we arrive"

"It's up, then"

~End of flashback~

You told Kaneki all of that, leaving that the boy was called Ayato Kirishima: you were sure that he would've asked Touka about that, and you didn't want it.

"So... You never changed?" Kaneki asked.

You smiled.

"No... I still love books, do you know?" you giggled.

He smiled.

"That's a terrible story, but... Can't you just be yourself?"

You looked down.

"I'm sorry, I really am, but I can't. I have a reputation, now. Please don't tell anyone about this" you said looking at him in the eyes.

He looked down at his lap, before answering.

"Ok, I'm not going to tell anyone, but..." he grinned at you before continuing.

"...can you be yourself at least with me? We could talk about books, sometimes, when we're alone..." he said.

You widened your eyes, and then you laughed genuinely. Kaneki watched you in amazed.

When you stopped to laugh, you hugged Kaneki tightly.

"Of course, Kane-kun"

He hugged you back. When you pulled away he asked

"(f/n), will you come to Anteiku tomorrow?"

You looked after your hands
"I don't think I want to leave my house, I'm afraid to meet...you know... Just tell Yoshimura-san I'm sick, ok?"

"Ok"

"How did you know I was here, anyways?" you asked.

"Oh! I just went to your house, but you didn't answer the doorbell, so I supposed you were here..." he replied, scratching his cheek.

With a last hug, you both stood up and left the roof, you going back to your house, him to his.

-Time skip, after four days-

Kaneki's POV

I was in Anteiku when the door opened.

It was Hide.

"Hey, Kaneki!"

"Hey, Hide" I answered, pretending to not know anything.

"Umm...I don't see (f/n)... Where is she?" he asked.

I froze. But I knew that they had to resolve that issue.

"She said she wasn't feeling well..." I said, putting an hand under my chin.

He narrowed his eyes.

"What about I ho check on her? Where does she live?" he asked.

I'm doing this for you, (f/n)

I told him her address and he immediately said farewell and left Anteiku, running.

I smiled to myself and I returned to what I was doing.

Your POV

You were in your bedroom, sitting and hugging your knees, when you heard a knock on the door.

"(f/n), it's me, Hide..." the familiar voice said. You hugged your knees tighter and pretend to not exist.

"(f/n), I know you're there... But I understand that you don't want to see me.
Listen, I don't care what you are and what you have to do... I want you to know that what happened doesn't matter...at least to me and I still love... Being your friend. Thanks for saving me back then. Please I don't want to ruin our friendship like this. Oh a x you still gave my sweater! Bye, I hope to see you soon!" he said and your chest warmed up.