12: THE ROLE OF HIS GIRLFRIEND

Dating Arnold gave me butterflies again. Keeping it a secret made it more fun and thrilling. The way he cares for me and he loves me made it easier for me to move on from Timmy's failed attempt of a relationship.

Arnold stood by me through all the ups and downs. I appreciate that he doesn't spoil me with unnecessary gifts like Timmy did. He knows when to give and when to take.

We have our own time but he spends time with me when he can and checks up on me when I'm quite busy with work. When we have our weekends off, we'd often go on dates or go out of town. We've been clingy since.

Everything seems to be natural with us. Maybe that's the upside of dating someone you were friends with.

I like how goofy he is when it's just us and how serious he is when we're around other people. I feel comfortable when I'm with him. Two-storey is the physical house but he's my home.

He never left me even when Timmy was around. He didn't say anything bad or against Timmy even if they used to be rivals in school. He was just beside me through it all.

I dropped by the mall to buy him a gift for our first monthsarry. I plan to surprise him with a limited edition illustration of a comic book that he likes.

As I was about to get the illustration, someone else has already grabbed it seconds before I got it. I tried to ask the bookstore staff if they still have extra copies but they said it would take months to pre-order again. And since it's limited edition, it might be impossible to get a new batch.

I tried to ask the staff again if they can check the other branches, but unfortunately, this was the only branch who had extra copies and that was the last copy.

I walked away. Hoping to order online or find someone who's willing to trade me a copy for something as a plan B. I

 was pissed off that somebody beat me to it. And that someone is actually someone I know.

***

Seeing him again brought back the good and bad memories we have together. Why now? I'm already happy with Arnold and I'm already opening my heart again.

Being with Arnold solidified my decision to give love another chance. Then, here comes Brenth again to fuel my doubts.

It was a couple of weeks since my reckless impulse to spend a night with Paul. I bumped into Brenth in our hometown's local bookstore cafe.

I tried to avoid him. I tried to hide behind other shelves and make my way to the other side so I can pretend that I didn't notice him. It was a good thing I have my earbuds on because I can pretend that I'm unaware of my surroundings.

I was so excited to get the last copy of the limited edition Vertigo Ilustration Arnold has been eyeing for. But I was a few seconds late and he has beaten me to it.

I backed away and pretended that I didn't recognize him. I just slowly tried to get out of the store. By this time, he has already bought the illustration and was also about to leave.

I contemplated on negotiating with him or letting the illustration go. I was on the fence because I didn't want to reconnect with Brenth at all. This is classic Brenth's style and I know that he purposely did it because he knows I will approach him soon.

On the other hand, I want to make Arnold happy and I know that he will really appreciate this illustration. However, if he finds out that I went through all this just for the sake of this gift, he would know right away that I just used it as an excuse to be in Brenth's radar again.