5: Mix Signals (Formely A BFF's Kiss)

Začať od začiatku

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Well, it is what it is."

"How's Hero? I forgot to ask about him. He sent me a message a few weeks ago."

"Busy with work and overprotective as always. He sent you a message? What was that about?"

"Well... y'know Hero. He always know what's up. He visited me in Madrid when he learned that I called off the engagement."

"He did what?! And you did what?!"

He chuckled.

"Relax. I was going to tell you. But Hero said that you were busy moving your stuff at Arnold's place."

"An engagement. Whoa. That's more important than moving stuff."

"Don't worry. I'm not taking it against you. Hero was there for me too, y'know?"

"But why did you just tell me about that now? How are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay. Seriously. It was a mutual decision between Felicity and me. She wasn't ready to settle down yet."

"At least, the invitations weren't printed yet and you haven't spent a lot for that supposed wedding."

"For someone who's supposed to be consoling me, you are kinda mean."

"Well... How could someone call off an engagement just because they aren't ready? Why say yes to a proposal if she doesn't see you in her future?"

"Hey, I know that you are just shocked but maybe you can lessen the real talk. It still hurts y'know?"

"How could someone say no to you?"

"Haha! Now I don't know if you are making fun of me or if you really mean it. I guess, it just wasn't meant to be."

"But you're..."

"Maybe I wasn't the same person you knew 16 years ago. A lot has happened over the years, Hana."

"That's true."

"Look at you, finally settling down with Arnold."

"Huh?! Settling with Arnold? No. No. It's not like that. We're not together."

I explained my set-up with Arnold to Krees and unlike my hysterics a while ago, he understood.

"I guess Arnold was just a few steps ahead. If I learned that you were looking for a place to stay, I would have offered you my villa."

"Your villa? I wasn't looking for a vacation spot, Krees. I was looking for a place..."

"To call your own? And Arnold was conveniently in the same place where you're supposed to be."

"Arnold is not like that. It was just a coincidence."

"It's too good to be true, Hana. Remember when I told you that I may not be the same person you knew when we were classmates? You could say the same with Arnold."

"I know. I appreciate your concern, Krees. That's how my parents reacted too. Even Hero was a bit hesitant with my decision, but he supported me in the end. I'm safe with Arnold."

"That's good to know. I hope that you also take care of yourself, Hana. People change. I'll probably tell Hero to keep a closer look on your safety."

"Hey... Hero has been overprotective from the start. If he will hear that from you, he might become more paranoid."

"I'm kidding."

"You should be. You should also trust Arnold."

I should mean it right? I should trust Arnold.

Where should I draw the line in trusting him and believing in him? Would I believe him if he says that he already stopped wooing that girl? Would I allow him to court me?

***

Krees drove me home after our catch up interview and dinner. Arnold was already home and was watching TV when I entered the house.

"I waited for you in your office. Even when they said that you left early. I went home as soon as possible. You weren't home. It's now 10 PM."

"I'm tired."

I don't want to argue anymore. It's late and I don't need to explain anything to him.

"I am serious. I am serious with you."

"How could you lie to my face every time, Arnold? I've always defended you to everyone. I've always told them to trust you. I want to believe you, Arnold. But I can't."

"I ended things with Cerah."

"What kind of response do you want to get from me? Congratulations, Arnold! You're free! You can flirt with anyone and you can tell anyone you like that you like them! Would that keep you from policing what I do with my time or how I want to spend my time?"

"I did that to prove to you that I'm dead serious with you."

"Thanks? Do you expect me to console you? That you must be grieving from a break up. That she might have meant something for you. Do you think I'll agree to be your girlfriend just because you broke up with your fling? You must have a different way of coping from a break up. I'm not wired that way. I take time to heal. Just because it didn't mean a lot to you, doesn't mean that I'd go running after you. I'm too hurt to even open up and take a step towards that path again."

Don't you grieve? Don't you need time to move on? Don't you need to heal? Was it just a one-off that it's too easy to let go and move on?

***

The next day, I received a couple of bouquet of flowers in my office. One from Arnold and the other from Krees. Arnold's bouquet has a card and it read, "I'm sorry." Krees on the other hand called me and thanked me for writing an article for him and for the catch up. He also sent me a painting with his signature on it.

When Arnold saw the painting in my room, he kept on teasing me about my new secret admirer. He really does a good job in annoying me. To the point that I had to tell him that it was Krees Gonzales, our former classmate in elementary school. I also told him about why I had to meet Krees and what happened to him. Indeed, Krees' engagement shut up Arnold as well.

I eventually forgave Arnold and we remained as good friends. He didn't know that I like him back but I guess this is better than being a rebound.