Chapter 25: Accidents!

Start from the beginning

Nick wrinkled his nose at the burnt smell and looked back at me for confirmation to leave. I did not want to see this. I was happy no one was hurt, and the building was not completely destroyed... but now I don't know how to handle the damage repair cost. We should first check if the building's strong enough or not and then the paint. The property, furniture and of course the food stock.

I held his hand tightly and came out with a heavy heart.
Chrissy quickly came up to me. "Did you know? I was caught up there... thank god! Mark came at the right time.... I mean nothing happened, but I was in panic mode." I pat her arm giving her a reassuring smile.

"Were there too many people when this happened?"

"Not really. There were people sitting, but I quickly turned the sign to closed near the door sent everyone out after they were finished and then... I went upstairs. I think that is what let the fire grow." She said shaking her head. She seemed quite better than what her condition was when I came.

"It's ok. Now Christina, leave for home, anyways you don't have to work here until this is all cleared up." He said and she nodded at him then turned to look at me with a sad face.
I went forward and hugged her which meant that it was ok.
It was not her mistake, why is she making such guilty faces.

***

She left with Mark and I again sat in the car with Nick. But when we took the wrong turn I quickly asked him "Where are we going?" I asked.

"Home."

Home? "Your driver took the wrong turn" I pointed out.

He huffed closing his eyes and held his head leaning onto the glass window "we are going to my parent's place. I haven't seen Isabella. You'd like to meet them as well" he mumbled the last sentence silently.

"Nick you should've told me earlier!"

"I'm telling you now."

"I'm not ready to meet them. I don't want to. Don't mind, but I can't handle them now." His jaw clicked, clearly showing that he's angry. Oh, what the fvck! I don't care if he can't hear a word against them, but I cannot keep quiet. I'm not going.

"We're going. That's it. End of discussion." He hissed.

"No no no no... No! We're not going." I screamed at him.

"Why are you acting a typical daughter in-law trying to snatch their son away?" His face was all scrunched up with anger.

"Typical daughter in-law? Snatch their son away?..... Where did you get that from?" I asked. Wow! I never thought this is what he thinks about me. I was the one always trying to mend their relationship! Instead I became the bad one now. They don't want me to call them Mom and Dad. Uff! "Tell him to stop the car!" I said pointing at the driver. I know we fought in front of the driver.

"I won't." He said too calmly.

I really didn't have a problem with him meeting his parents. Neither did I. But today I can't. I don't know. I don't want to meet them after all they did. I have no complaints with his dad. But his mom and sister. That when she told me not to call her mom was the day I felt Nick. The day I thought and understood why Nick actually hates her.

"Stop the car!" I told the driver. Instead he looked conflicted and looked back at Nick from the front mirror. He and his minions!
"Tell him to stop the car Nick" I hissed at Nick who had on smirk enjoying it a bit too much.
"You either ask him to stop the car or I jump!" I warned.

He raised his eyebrows at that. "Really? I want see you try" he said and folded his arms across his chest.

"Fine then" I said turned towards the door. I'm doing this now! The driver slowed down the car but not really stopping it. I unlocked it but didn't pull the handle, instead, I looked back at him who still sat thinking I wouldn't do this.

I first turned behind to see if there's another vehicle but none. There was just a motorbike arriving that was actually too far away.
I was thankful he was at the far end. Because when I actually pulled the handle and opened the door and actually jumped on my feet, scraping my knees and elbow... he couldn't catch me.

The car came to a stop few steps ahead of me. Nick jumped out of the car and slammed it shut. "Are you fvcking crazy, woman?!" He asked as he leaned down next to me.

"You thought I wouldn't fvcking do it?!" I said and got up dusting my dress. He turned around and pulled my hand behind him "Aaah" I screamed in pain when he pulled it hardly. Has he forgotten I just fell? My left hand, right elbow and both knees are bleeding.
He left my hand and waited for me to sit in the car. I didn't! "I'll get a taxi; you go meet your parents" I said.

I know I was acting like a spoiled brat. But I didn't want to meet them when they really don't want me. I did my every duty as a daughter in-law. After this fire accident.... it's too much! I cannot handle everything, everyone in a single day.
I said I'll move out today and that will happen.

"I'm taking you home. Now get in" he said through his clenched teeth. "First that fire accident now this accident. Just wonderful."

Uh-huh!

***

My knee was just a bit too harshly scraped. Hand was fine but my elbow was still bleeding, not too much though. I had a handkerchief pressed on to it. That too Nick's...
It was ten minutes later that we reached our house. Home sweet home.... uh-oh! Not anymore.... I eyed those bags that I packed but still were successful in staying confined in this house. Nick stayed behind me, but I don't know what he thought seeing this.

"Where were you planning to leave?" His voice resonated into my ears. "I remember I kept it in our room this morning."

"I just planned to leave"

"Where!" He hissed.

"Look I just wanted a divorce and the best option was for me to leave-" I rambled continuously but quickly stopped from making a fool of myself.

"So, you want a divorce?" He asked looking at me warily as he now stood in front of me.
I nodded my head slowly and looked at him through my lashes. I wanted him to say... say that he wants me to stay. That even if he doesn't love me now, he'll learn to love me- "You'll have it." His voice was so soft. I couldn't have heard it.

"What?" I whispered. I suddenly felt like my heart stopped there for a second. No no no... This is not going well.

"I'll send the divorce papers very soon. You have my word. And because you so badly wanted to leave. You're free to go." He said very calmly. Not even an inch of sadness lacing his tone. Doesn't he care? Do I not matter to him?

"Bu-but what about the contract conditions.... we... cannot.. take a.. divorce?" I asked. Something? I wanted to stay... I no longer wanted to leave this place.. this house.. this man.. my husband!

"I can handle that." He said. I held my wounded elbow that was still bleeding and looked at him for some sign. Just a word from him and I'll stay. But there was nothing in his eyes. Not even anger. And I stepped back.

I then picked my bag and looked at him for the last time.
"Okay."