Chapter 25: Accidents!

Start from the beginning

"Evelyn!" That was Nick... "Where are you? Eve?" He asked when I didn't reply. I should've checked the phone before I answered.

"I'm.... at home" I replied.

"Stay right there. I'm going to come get you"
And the same beep sound again. What the fvck is it with everyone just cancelling my call.
I left my suitcase right there behind the door. I need to be at the restaurant now... obviously I'm postponing the running away part to later. I turned around to leave and slammed into a wall... a chest. A man. My husband.

"Come let's go" he said.

"I-I" I couldn't think of anything else. How could he be here so early, didn't he just call me? He eyed the suitcase behind me and squeezed his eyes shut with a clenched jaw and looked at me with a glare. "Ya lets go... uhm Nick.. drop me at the restaurant" I said trying to divert his attention, he looked at me suspiciously as I mentioned the restaurant.

"That's where we are going" he said... "you do know what happened right?" And I nodded to that. "Who even told you?"

"Chrissy." I said and he nodded with a sigh. He held my hand, sat me inside the car and closed the door for me as he came around on the other side.
"What's happening? I don't understand anything." my eyes almost filled with tears; I was that frustrated.

"It's okay. There's not much damage" he pulled me onto his chest.

"How do you know?" I sniffled. "You were there?" I asked.

"That is where I left for in the morning"

"You could've woken me up"

"First off, I didn't how drastic it was. I couldn't let you go to a place like that, and.... I don't know if I have to tell you this or not, but I'll tell you anyway. I suspect that someone's behind this accident" he said.

"You mean to say it wasn't really an accident... someone did it purposely... but... why would anyone..." I frowned at my own thoughts. Why would anyone do it when I'm not there.

"I get what you mean. That is what we need to find out. Maybe this was just a warning." it was like he was talking to himself, trying to figure this out. "Thank god you were not going to work!"

Uhm... is he happy that I'm alive? I could feel a migraine pain coming along.
I was chewing my nails all along the way with Nick sparing a few side glances at me.
We reached the place almost too quickly and the scene in front of me.... was.. I don't know.. may be unexpected?
Because I thought my building would've been burnt to ashes... etc etc like how they show in the movies, but nothing! The place was looking just fine. Nick accompanied me inside with a hand supporting my waist. I don't know why Chrissy screamed fire, but I didn't see a thing damaged. Other than the glass windows broken from the outside, everything looked fine really. Oh and of course the darkened walls because of the smoke.

Chrissy sat on a.. uhm... on Mark' s lap. "Chrissy? Why are you crying? I thought something happened! And the way you said it! I thought someone died.. God!! You scared me girl!" I said taking a seat next to her. She looked at me weirdly like I'm crazy or something.

"I think you've to go check upstairs!" She said challenging me to even step there.
Upstairs? There was nothing upstairs.... except the food stock.
I looked at Nick and he nodded pushing me further towards the stairs.

"Be careful, you might slip... hold my hand" he said snatching my hand into his. And the other hand holding my waist. I'm not a kid, I can handle myself.

We were only planning to shift the kitchen up here, there'd be more place for the people. Now, plan changed. I don't know how I'll afford to fix this damage. Fire insurance claim won't provide me much. I slowly stepped onto the floor and looked at the ruins. The entire floor was burnt. Thankfully, they could stop the fire before it spread and destroyed the entire building.