Meeting the Boys

The girls both walked into the locker and stood next to Craig Berube.

“Devan and Jess are two huge fans and are so excited to meet all of you. Please make them feel welcomed.” Berube warned the team. He then turned to us and whispered, “ if any of them give you a hard time, let me know.” he winked and then walked out of the room.

First captain, Claude Giroux introduced himself to us. He welcomed us to the locker room and we joked around with him for a little bit. All of the players were coming up and talking to us like they knew us forever. They were so personable. Scott Hartnell signed Devan’s jersey and took pictures with the girls. This was basically the routine for each player: they would sign stuff and take pictures and basically just hang out. Jess was having a long conversation with Jay Rosehill about his fight tonight and his amazing fist pump after the guy was laying on the ground. Brayden approached Devan and stuck out his hand.

“Hey Im Brayden. It’s nice to meet you.” He said to Devan cooly.

“Hey Im Devan. I’m a huge fan.” Devan gushed a little bit and smiled. He laughed and smiled at her. The pair sat down in Brayden’s stall and began talking about the game, which led to talking about everything hockey, which led to questions of how Brayden started to play, his favorite player, his favorite...well  basically everything Devan could think of.

“Sorry for all of the questions.” Devan laughed and blushed.

“No worries but I wish I could have learned a little bit more about you.” He replied and smiled.

“Me?”

“Yes you… How about we go for dinner Saturday night?” Brayden asked confidently.

“I’ll have to check my schedule but I think I can move some stuff around.” Devan smiled. Brayden laughed and then they exchanged numbers.

“It was really nice meeting you tonight.” Devan said before leaving. Brayden hugged her and whispered in her ear, “You know, Patrick Kane is not as great as you think.” Dev laughed and punched his arm.

The girls finally said goodbye to everyone and walked back over to Xfinity! Live where they promised to meet up with Anthony and Ryan again and exchange stories. When we walked into the packed bar, we quickly spotted the boys and sat down at a booth. The place was buzzing due to the Flyers win. We showed the boys all of our pictures with the players and everything they signed. Devan left out the part about getting asked out by Brayden and giving him her number because she would rather wait to tell Jess when they were alone in their apartment. But overall it was a really successful night. We hugged the boys goodbye and Anthony helped us get a cab because we were a little drunk [and high on life. jk not part of the story lol]. We kissed the boys goodbye, jumped into the back seat and headed back home.

“OK TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED. I SAW YOU OVER THERE TALKING TO BRAYDEN FOR LIKE EVER.” Jess stated.

“Yeah, he’s really cool! We were just talking about... hockey mostly. ” Devan figured it would be better to tell what happened tomorrow morning when they were both in a better state to comprehend the situation. We paid the driver and headed up to our apartment. Devan went to get a water before heading into her bedroom to fall asleep. She stopped and looked out the window and just admired all the lights and life the city had to offer. It was breathtaking. She remembered the night and couldn’t help but smile. Then she felt her phone buzz. Puzzled by who could be texting her at 3:30 in the morning, she checked and saw an unknown number with a message that read,

“Hey youre probably asleep right now but meeting you tonight was a lot of fun and I can’t wait for Saturday. -B” Devan smiled and thought of what to reply.

“Actually I’m just heading to bed now. I had a great time tonight too. Can’t wait to see you.” Dev saved his number and then went into her room to fall asleep. What a day.