Chapter 7, Part 2

Start from the beginning

Safraz had steadied his spear into the ground as he crouched, and the creature impaled itself with the force of its own weight!

It was a certain deathblow!

But the fight wasn't over.

The beast continued to snarl and gnash its teeth, impaling itself further as it tried to get at Safraz with reckless abandon.

"Steady it!" Ruqayyah shouted as he wavered, and he steeled his grip on the spear holding the Silverclaw in place.

Ayana and I wasted no time getting to the beast, and in one timed blow, we brought our spears down on the monster's head, hard.

The blows glanced off of his thick fur coat, but as it snapped at me one final time, Ayana aimed a final thrust at the creature's throat and her spear finally penetrated the beast.

A little stream of blood poured as she wrenched the spear from its neck, and with a final gurgle, it went limp and motionless on Safraz's spear.

"I-is it dead?" he muttered, disbelievingly.

He pushed it to the side, and with a thud it landed on the floor, blood pooling around it and staining its silvery coat a deep, crimson shade.

A throaty, uncertain laugh emanated from his throat as and the flicker of a triumphant smirk appeared on his face.

But it instantly disappeared when a series of growls came echoing down the corridor from behind us.

"You've gotta be kidding me!" he muttered, but as he scampered for the corridor in the opposite direction, Khalisah grabbed him by the nape of his cloak, and shook her head in stern warning.

He stared up the corridor where the intimidating forms of three Silverclaws loomed over us.

"Don't move," she whispered, and Safraz nodded stupidly as he stared, frozen with fear at the sight before us.

I remained in a low crouch, and glanced to my right.

Ayana nodded, and taking her spear steadied it into the ground and I did the same, bracing for the Silverclaws' approach.

Then I returned my gaze ahead and caught sight of Ruqayyah, her spear trembling in her hand and terrified tears streaming down her face.

This was bad!

What should I do?

As we were, we were positioned in the best manner possible to stand a chance against these beasts.

No, if we watched a comrade get torn to shreds in front of us, my resolve would most certainly waver.

*Tch.

I glanced over to Khalisah who was still disarmed, then tossing my spear at her I took off.

Keeping low, I dashed forward in smooth measured steps.

I got to Ruqayyah, and steadied her shaky spear with my hands.

She looked up at me:

"You came?"

I nodded, then notched her spear into the ground at her side, and together we kept it firmly in place in preparation for the oncoming attack.

We were resolute and ready to hold firm, but the Silverclaws didn't charge.

Their snarls made a menacing chorus, but their advance was careful and slow.

They drew closer and closer to us until I could see into their bright, shimmering blue eyes.

My hands gripped the spear more tightly.

If they came any closer I'd have to make a swing, or do something to make them back up, or leap at us.

We stood no chance of killing them any other way.

My hand tensed, and Ruqayyah, sensing my intent loosened her grip on the spear as I prepared to swing!

*Tzzz.

A peculiar whirring sound emanated from the Silverclaw and a little circle of blue around the creature's iris rotated in a semi-circle; momentarily projecting a flickering blue light into my face, from its center.

"What the hell..." Ruqayyah muttered, and in an instant, the Silverclaws began to howl.

A loud piercing howl that echoed down the corridors.

Then with that swift motion of theirs, they leapt.

Away from us and down the corridor where they bounded past our equally confused comrades.

And just like that.

In a flash.

They were gone.

Things begin to heat up as the newly formed Labyrinth exploration squad is called immediately into action.

Having only barely survived their first encounter, how will the group fare in the labyrinth?

As always, comment and let me know what you think! :)