Chapter 7, Part 2

Was it alone?

What should we do?

There was no way to push the Silverclaw down the tunnel, as we would be trapped in its path.

Despite the internal debate, both of us remained perfectly still as the creature emerged, one calculated step at a time from the tunnel.

Even with its head pressed low to the ground, the creature stood a clear five feet off the ground.

Its eyes were fixed in our direction as it crept on all fours into our corridor.

The creature took one more step, when I noticed the flash of Khalisah's approach from behind it.

She needs an opening!

I leapt from our hiding place and threw my spear with full force at the beast.

The stone tipped shaft cluttered loudly to the floor as it struck the stone wall where the creature had just a moment ago stood.

It was unbelievable fast, leaping to the right and out of the way of my spear, but that moment was all Khalisah needed, her spear collided hard with midsection of the Silverclaw.

"It's a hit!" Ruqayyah exclaimed, but the triumphant feeling was short lived, as the beast rolled over onto its back then returned with a snap at Khalisah.

"Go!" she yelled, as she swung her spear in an arc, trying to drive the beast back.

Ayana came charging in from the behind Khalisah, and Ruqayyah joined her from my end. They made alternate swings at the beast, retreating slightly after each swing, and the Silverclaw began to withdraw down the tunnel from which it had emerged.

I retrieved my spear from the ground and joined them.

This was bad!

If we could have pressed it back down the way we came, then it would have gone according to plan, but as things stood our best bet was to corner and slay the beast.

Could we, though?

Khalisah's blow landed hard, a direct hit for certain, but in the dim light I wasn't sure it had even pierced the creatures hide.

The four of us in a semicircle consistently drove it back until it came up against a dead end, and with one final snarl, it snapped at Ruqayyah, allowing Ayana and myself to land two blows from the left side of its head.

But the spears merely glanced off its thick hide, and in response the creature leapt against a rocky protrusion on the wall, and with a mighty heave propelled itself over our heads.

We were floored by the sheer majesty of its athleticism, and only Khalisah managed to make an unsuccessful swing in retaliation.

"Fools!" she muttered under her breath, then a look of panic quickly overtook her.

"That idiot!"

She raced off down the corridor, we suddenly understood why.

Safraz isn't with us!

We tore off after her and as we rounded the corner to the main corridor, we heard her scream!

The Silverclaw snapped at Khalisah, and taking her spear between its fangs it wrenched her body towards it and slammed into her hard, knocking her against the corridor wall.

Its shiny fangs glistened in the dim light as it bared its teeth at us, then with a fierce snarl, it leapt at Safraz.

Crouched up against the wall, he fell backwards to the floor as the wolf leapt, but the stream of blood which splashed onto the wall as it landed erupted not from its front, but rather from its back, where the bloody tip of Safraz's bone spear now protruded.