8. Sneaking and Escapes

Depuis le début

"Josh what the hell is your number?" she asks making me bite my lip in nervousness.

"Which one?" I ask making her sigh.

"You know what? Nevermind" she says in annoyance as she bolts out of her seat but this time it's me following after her.

"Maya hold on" I exclaim as I grab her arm. "I've kissed a lot of girls. So many that I've admittedly lost count" I confess, "I've hooked up with eight and yes that's a high number but it's in the past."

"What about the other one? The sex one?" she asks making a smile pull at my lips because at least this one will surprise her.

"One" I reveal, making her eyes widen in shock as she looks at me in disbelief.

"There is no way you've only had sex with one girl" she says shaking her head.

"I wouldn't lie about that" I reply honestly. "There's been one girl and she's my best friend."

"Bridget" Maya guesses causing me to nod. "Wow I hate her a little bit more now" she adds with a laugh as her phone rings. She pulls it out of her purse and sighs.

"It's Riley."

~ 📚 ~

Maya's POV

"Hey honey" I say cheerily as I answer the phone, trying to find a quiet place to talk to her.

"Where are you? I'm sorry if I upset you earlier but you can't just ditch."

"I needed a day to myself" I lie as I glance over at Josh, a smile forming on my lips.

"Really? So you wouldn't happen to know where my uncle is?" she asks making me bite my lip.

"I don't know Riles but I gotta go. Talk to you later" I say quickly as I hang up the phone before walking back over to Josh.

"She knows we're together doesn't she?" he asks causing me to nod as he moans in frustration. "I should get you back to school."

"Not yet. There's a sale at Victoria's Secret" I smirk as I take his hand, leading him into the lingerie store.

"Alright I only find it fair that I ask this. What's your number?" Josh asks as we walk around the store.

"I've kissed maybe like five guys. Hooked up with one and I'm a virgin" I confess as I come across a cute lacy black bra. "What do you think about this?" I ask as I hold it up.

"I think I haven't even kissed you and you're already asking me to pick out lingerie. It's a little out of order" he teases making me roll my eyes as I continue looking around.

"You're hilarious" I smirk as I come across a perfume that I instantly fall in love with. "Smell" I instruct Josh making him chuckle as he comes over to smell the small part of my neck where I sprayed the fragrance but his face lingers in front of mine as he pulls back. "Would helping me shop be less weird if I let you kiss me?" I ask as I look up him hopefully.

"I'm not kissing you in this store" Josh replies as he pulls away. "Come on gorgeous" he insists as he leads me to the checkout.

~ 📚 ~

"Your place or mine?" Josh asks as we climb into his car after a full day of shopping making me laugh lightly.

"How many times have you used that line?" I tease as he puts the key in the ignition.

"In this context? None" he replies with a smirk making me roll my eyes playfully as stares back at me. "Are you coming home with me or not?" I glance at the clock and realize school still isn't out.

"I'll come by for a little while. Can you give me a ride home later?"

"Of course gorgeous" he smiles as he puts the car in drive and heads out of the parking lot. The drive to the loft is short and the two of us head down the hall to his room when we get there.

"What's your favorite thing about your room?" I ask as he puts away a few shirts he bought at the mall while I look around.

"That you're in it" he smirks making me shoot him a look as I shake my head in amusement.

"I'm finally starting to see how you've gotten so many women. You are so smooth" I tease.

"I try" he replies making me roll my eyes playfully. "But honestly it's this" he smiles as he hands me a picture of him and his parents. "It's my favorite thing I own. This picture was taken a week before they died." I stare down at the picture and I see a whole different Josh. A Josh that's planning someday and has an amazing life. The Josh I fell in love with.

"I can't imagine what losing them did to you" I say softly as I look up at him.

"It's hard" he admits as he sits on his bed, allowing me to take a seat next to him. "I think the worst part is that I got the least time with them. My siblings are all in their thirties and forties while I'm still only eighteen. Eighteen years is nothing in comparison. I just wanted more time."

"I know" I say softly as I place my hand over his before hearing the sound of the door opening downstairs.

"Josh are you home? Asleep?" Riley shouts making my eyes widen as I pull my hand back.

"What do I do?" I panic.

"I don't know. I've never bothered to hide any girls I brought home" he confesses. "The closet" he suggests making me roll my eyes as I make my way over to the small space. Josh manages to close the doors a second before Riley opens the door.

"Oh. You are up" she says. "My mom left a note that says you have to order pizza for dinner" she informs Josh.

"Okay. I'll call in a sec" he replies politely. "How was school?"

"None of your business" she snips as she walks off making me roll my eyes.

"Alright time to come out of the closet" Josh says making me roll my eyes as I open the doors, finding him laughing.

"You are such an idiot" I laugh as I grab my bags off his bed. "I'll meet you at your car."

~ 📚 ~

Josh's POV

Maya climbs out the window and makes her way down the fire escape while I take a deep breath and walk out of my bedroom and down to the living room, finding Riley sitting on the couch channel surfing.

"I'm gonna go pick up the pizzas. I'll be back in a little bit" I inform my niece as I grab my keys, pulling on my shoes as I open the door.

"Whatever" she replies nonchalantly, not even bothering to glance my way as I walk out the door. I could only imagine how much worse our relationship was going to get if I really pursed things with Maya.

"Took you long enough" the blonde smirks as I make my way to my car causing me to laugh.

"It was like two minutes tops. Get in" I insist causing her to smile as she opens the door and climbs in while I get in on the other side. I start up the car and start making my way towards her place.

"I had a lot of fun today Josh" she says happily and as I look over at her I see her fighting a smile. I knew exactly how she felt. Us being together, being happy together, it was only going to make our lives hell with the people around us. Yet it was like I was incapable of staying away from her, I was addicted to Maya and I didn't want to push her away again.

"Me too" I reply honestly with a slight smile. "Maybe we should hang out again" I suggest carefully.

"Where?" she asks with a laugh.

"How about the party on Saturday. Riley hates parties, you want to make sure I keep true to the deal, and honestly I just want to spend more time with you" I admit as I glance over at her.

"Riley can't know" she replies as she bites her bottom lip causing me to nod in agreement.

"She'll never know" I assure her as I pull up in her driveway. "So what do you say?"

"Yes" she replies happily before hopping out of the car.